|Finished top--measurers 92 1/2 inches x 92 1/2 inches|
I imagine 2018 will go by at least as fast. Tomorrow, I'll begin thinking about projects to complete and goals to accomplish. Today, I'm sharing my progress with the mystery online block of the month (BOM).
When I posted my quarterly goals regarding finishing this mystery BOM project, I thought I just had one clue left to piece. Turns out that I had two clues! The first clue or clue number nine was to put the blocks together and add the pieced border to the top. I was psyched that my points ended up okay and that the border size was the same size as the top!
The second clue or clue number 10 was to add two more plain borders. I cut the fabric. Next I stitched it to the top. That process went well. It just took longer than I envisioned. It is 92 1/2 inches square so long seams are involved!
It is too big to photograph anywhere in our house. In my finished photo, there is a 4 1/2 inch dark brown border outside of the pink border which is too dark to see.
Then it was on to piecing the back. I like to use the leftovers from the top so the "remains" don't go back in my stash. Sometimes, I have leftover parts which I incorporate into the design. I like the personality a pieced back adds to the quilt.
|Small bits pieced together|
into a useable strip
|The strip pieced into the back|
First, I stitched the small pieces together. Then, I added larger chunks until I had created enough fabric for the back. It is freeing to piece the back. For example, no one knows if the seams are quarter inch or not! Besides, needing to have six yards of fabric for the back can get expensive. Why not use what I've been enjoying on the shelf?
The pieced section of squares within a square was one of the steps in the mystery; but, I didn't have enough contrast so I remade the step. I saved the low volume strip to add to the back. I love how much interest those strips add!
I did purchase a remnant because I didn't have enough leftover fabrics for the back. The green batik in the photo was a yard of extra wide backing fabric. It worked perfectly with the other fabrics in this back.
The back it too big for me to photograph all at once; but, you can get the idea of what it looks like. When I piece a back, I generally allow a full day to finish the task. It is surprising how long it takes to sew the little bits together and attach to the bigger bits. Then there is a bit of designing that happens as to how the bits will fit together!
Pin basting the layers together was a big job. I chose a wool batting by Hobbs for this project. I tried to baste the layers on my kitchen table; but, the process was just not working well. (I was concerned that I wouldn't keep the back square enough in relation to the top.)
I took the top, the batting and the back to the floor. Ugh! Floor work is not for me! My knees, neck and back complained mightily the entire time. After a couple of days, I was over the pain. I did close the pins and trim the excess batting at the table.
|Pin basting in process|
I think that was the last time I'll be on the floor pinning a huge quilt. I'll either refrain from making such huge projects (probably not a realistic solution since I have at least three more big quilts in the works) or I'll have them basted on a longarm.
I'm pleased the project is ready for ditch quilting as that was my goal at the beginning of the quarter. I did cut the binding and piece it so it is ready when I reach that stage. The sleeve is cut and ready to be applied when the quilting is finished.
This was an online mystery BOM with members of "The Quilt Show (TQS) in 2015. I sure enjoyed piecing the clues and kept up until clue nine! I also enjoyed making a medallion style quilt. For those that wanted a smaller size project, it was possible to stop after you had reached the size you wanted!
Now to be thinking about what kind of fun I'll do in all those sections. Perhaps, I'll incorporate ruler work into the quilting. . .