Sunday, December 24, 2017

Christmas--2017

Stockings hung by the fireplace
My favorite Christmas wall hanging stitched in 1996
T'was the morning before Christmas and all through the house not a creature is stirring. . .not even Bailey the dog! The stockings are hung and ready for St. Nick's visit. Quilted projects are visible throughout the house and provide cheer for the season. The tree is decorated . . .some ornaments I purchased through travels, some I made and some were given by friends and family. Many of the ornaments are hand crafted. Decorating the tree always brings back memories of people, places and activities! This year, the silver walnuts returned to the tree. Bob made these long, long, ago and he would rather that these ornaments would be retired. I like the sparkle they provide so he humors me!

The packages are wrapped and wait under the tree for their destinations tomorrow. Miss K is quite concerned that Miss J has three packages under the tree while she has but one. On closer inspection, she learned that one of the three packages is for her dad, James and one package is for Jérôme. Although she feels better that there are equal packages under the tree for the two of them, she is now concerned that there is only one for each of them out of all that are under the three!
The tree and the packages

Tomorrow, we will be having salmon for dinner. Today, I'm baking a dairy free cheesecake for Christmas tomorrow. I hope the major ingredients--cauliflower, coconut oil, cashews and honey will meld together and be delicious. If not, we will have another memory about Christmas 2017!

This evening marks the year anniversary of my dad's death. I'll be toasting to his memory later this evening. It took 11 months to close his estate as per his wishes. It went as he said it would and I learned a lot about my family.  I continue to regularly check-in with my dad's wife.

My youngest brother voiced his opinions. When he didn't get his way, he stopped communicating with me. My younger brother also voiced his opinions. In the process, he called me many names as well as let me know that Dad should not have given me anything as I hadn't earned it. His words hurt my heart. I didn't engage in the name calling.

Lace bell made by a special friend this year
The two phrases that were the final straws were 'blood sucker' and that I was 'after blood money.' I haven't spoken to that brother since July. I did text both brothers at Thanksgiving and received no response. I will text them in the morning because they are family.

My mother also provided input to the situation and when she learned my brothers didn't get their way, stopped meaningful communication. At no time, did she ask for my side of the situation. She may be over for dinner tomorrow; but, if the roads are icy over the mountain pass; she may opt to be safe and stay home.

I am grateful for the relationships that I have with my two daughters. They each are my favorite! I am thankful that I am building a special relationship with each of the grands. Most of all, I am grateful to my husband for his continued support. He has helped me see the bigger picture and to skip the small stuff. He is my best friend and the love of my life. He brings joy to my life each and every day. Life can't get better than that!

So to all my readers, I wish you a Merry Christmas. May you be making fond memories with friends and family this holiday season!

8 comments:

Monica said...

My mother has also not spoken to her brother since they fell out over the handling of their mother's funeral. But it is not the parent's fault, I think it is simply that the only thing keeping them connected was the parent, and once they were gone, their differences became overwhelming. It sounds like a similar situation, with my uncle blaming my mother for things that were totally out of her control. And even though he has halfheartedly apologized, the relationship is severed. And truthfully, we are much better off. So, you're not alone in this, Terry! Enjoy the holiday and all the relationships that you have chosen, and let go of the ones that bring you down. Merry Christmas!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Monica, The issues were always there. It just took an incident for the issues to come out into the open. It also took an incident for me to see the issues. You are so right--We are better off! I choose to live my life with joy and have surrounded myself with those that I can be joyful with. Thanks for being part of my joyful circle!

Luann Fischer said...

Terry,
You know all too well that I can understand the heart ache when people react to not getting their way about ‘stuff’. I know you will move on, but that part of your heart that was crushed will take time to recover and the scar tissue will always be there. That’s a fact of life that we all wish weren’t so. I will pray that one day your entire family can be together and enjoy the time, but I know it’s only in God’s timing, IF it’s in His plan?! Please remember that you have a ‘sister’ in SC and put your red hat on and celebrate the birth of Our Lord and Savior ! ! ! Love too you and the family.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, yep, there's scar tissue forming. I know that there will be occasions when all the family will be in the same room. . .whether or not we are together. . .well, that part is in God's hands. As for the red hat. . .well, it comes out from time to time!

Unknown said...

Sorry for the rift in your family, but people are who they are and you can't change them. But I'm glad you are still reaching out and are leaving a space in your heart for them in case they ever come around. And I'm glad you are enjoying the holidays with the rest of your family. Have a very merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Fun "read" (excluding brothers, of course). Your wall hanging never looked better, first time I've seen your tree and sharing a photo of that sweet, sweet bell was such a good idea. Loved reading about the importance of counting all the gifts under the tree. I'm 75 and I still do that (tee, hee).

May 2018 be YOUR year, Terry. YOUR New Year. Happy New Year to You, Bob and all the family!! Gail G

She Quilts It said...

So sorry to hear about all the continued heartache for you. We are lucky and blessed to have a family that doesn't fight over material things. It makes the estate issues a breeze.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Joanne, I learned that the relationship I thought I had was one sided on my end. It was a hard lesson; but, looking back I can see that it was one sided for many years. I like being in a joyful environment so plan to hang with those that like joy too! :)