Sunday, November 26, 2017

Butterfly Embroidery--10th Finish for 4th Quarter Finish-A-Long (FAL) 2017

Tracking the minutes remaining of each stitch segment
This is my 10th finish this quarter and it was goal number nine of my list.  It is for someone who needs to know that people are thinking of her. I hope this butterfly brings a smile to the recipient!

The butterfly design was in my embroidery software.  I spent a day playing in the software. I enlarged the design several inches. I duplicated the design and then I mirrored one of the designs. I grouped sequenced the stitching by color so that I would have less thread changes. I made sure that I would be able to stitch both designs in one hooping.

Finished stitch out
On another day, Miss K supervised the stitching. I stitched on a piece of gold felt with one layer of cut away stabilizer. After each thread change, she would remark at how beautiful it was and how it was even more beautiful than it was the last time the needle stopped. I changed the thread. She kept the threads in order and let me know how many minutes were remaining on each of the sections.  It took about an hour and a half to stitch the design.

We were able to finish the stitching and begin the trimming before she it was time for her and her sister to pack up and meet their mama. She provided her input about the antennae. I was going to leave them off; but, she was adamant that there be antennae! She wanted to know how it was going to be one when there were two!

Free motion stitching the layers together
She also wanted to know all about the recipient. She asked questions like:
Would this make the recipient happy?  Would the recipient  like the color?  Miss K said she would like this butterfly if it was going to be hers. I told her that making a gift for someone is special; but, making a gift that you really like makes giving it even more special. She nodded her head. Miss K has such a kind heart which is just like her mama!

Plain back of the design
I used a little glue to "encourage" the layers to stay together. It was close that the front and the back matched.  I added a gold ribbon for the hanger and some glittery pipe cleaners for the antennae.  I purchased the pipe cleaners from the Dollar Tree a few years ago.

I placed a drop of glue under the pipe cleaners and the ribbon.  Then I stitched around the outer edge to hold them in place. I like the finished product. For a first try, the front and the back of the design are okay!

I decided to stitch a few more. I edited the design to try to compensate for the amount that the motif shrank from being such a dense design.  I tried using batting and tear away stabilizer. That was not a good combination as the design drew up too much. I stopped the stitching after a couple thread changes and started over!

Three butterflies
Next, I tried using two layers of tear away stabilizer. I also decided to make the back plain.
Originally, I had planned that I would stuff the center; but the design is too dense to be able to do this.

The compensation is still a little off. I did like having the design on one side of the ornament. It is lighter. I changed the antennae a little which I liked better.

I found that it was easier to glue the hanger and the ribbon to the back of the embroidered side then use the glue to anchor the embroidered side to the back. (I inserted it on the first one which was not easy!) I also found it was easier to free motion stitch the two edges together. I'm considering trying to add this stitching line in the design so that I could finish the entire design in the hoop.

I continue to have a healthy respect for those who digitize their embroidery designs. My goal is to be happy with my results of creating my own designs. I have a long way to go yet!

Perhaps, I will consider stitching more of these butterflies as this a project for 2018! For now though, I'm returning to working on a couple quilt projects. Stay tuned!




10 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice! I love the colors!!

JoJo said...

Shame on you for considering leaving off the antennae! Everybody knows how important they are to butterflies! It’s good that you have such an awesome young embroiderer with a keen eye that keeps you organized and on your toes! I love seeing the projects you and the grands do together.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy. Miss K has another color palette in mind for another run of making butterflies.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I know. . .I know. . .I know. . .it was a poor consideration! Thanks for the fuzzy wire tip. You kept me on in good stead with Miss K!!!

Monica said...

Gosh, these are so beautiful, Terry! The colours and shading really work. Great finish, and I know they will be very appreciated. :D

Diane-crewe said...

beautiful work .. no wonder your granddaughter is impressed x You have had a busy couple of months

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Monica. I look forward to making a few more at some point!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Diane, I am working to finish some items that have been hanging about way too long! It is good to see you posting again.

Ella said...

I'm now imagining a butterfly tree at Christmas time. It's beautiful. Thank you for participating on behalf of the 2017 FAL crew!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those butterflies, although time consuming to stitch, were fun. So much fun, in fact, that I stitched a couple more in a different color way and now, I'm thinking about adding them to another project. . .well, thinking anyway!!!! Thank you for your part in the FAL process. I have found looking at others' finishes to be inspirational.