Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Month 6 of 8 QAYG-(Quilt As You Go)--Part Two

Whoops. . .I posted a bit out of order; but, here is part two of Month 6 of 8!!  After I experienced so many challenges with trying to maintain a consistency with the ruler and trying to hit the marks as I quilted using the spacing gauge, I decided "in the neighborhood" was as good as it was going to get. I reminded myself that this is a learning project and to stop being so hard on myself.
Using the rotary cutting ruler as an
spacing gauge

Block three was another star. I attempted to place a curved line around the outer edge of the design to give the illusion that one was looking at a flower. Granddaughter K called it a flower so I thought that she was extra smart! I didn't do near the ripping that I had done on the other blocks.

I did try a different alignment technique which worked better for me. I used a small rotary cutting ruler to ensure that the angle I was going to stitch was the correct one. I then butted the template ruler next to the rotary cutting ruler. I removed the rotary cutting ruler and stitched. My lines were straighter and more consistent using this method.

Again I stitched vertical lines for the background. It is good enough and I'm glad that it is finished!
Block 3 of 8
Block 4 of 8


Block four was another opportunity to use my eye to gauge the center of the block and to line the end of the ruler template at that point. I was better; but, still not great. I again stitched vertical lines as the background fill. I will probably have at least two blocks that either contain a vertical or a horizontal straight line fill just so that when I get to putting all the blocks together, these blocks will have some consistency.

Now to get on with the next four blocks as time is ticking away'!

2 comments:

Monica said...

Well, I think your centres look quite good there, Terry! Especially the second one. It seems to me that you are definitely improving.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Monica! I have learned a lot and yes, my work has improved. . .although, I still have times when I can't figure out why something is going awry or I don't notice that it has got awry until too late!