|Batik fabrics for the front|
Only, it is a Quilt As You Go (QAYG) project that uses rulers for the quilting designs. QAYG is a method of quilting the blocks and then joining them together. The quilting process is easier because the quilter isn't dealing with cramming large layered sections through the harp of a domestic sewing machine!
I was disappointed with my efforts at using the set of artistic rulers on "Winter Ice." Before I threw in the towel on quilting with rulers, I decided I would take this class because perhaps, my problem was with my tools and how I used them!
|Cotton fabrics for the back|
I was making great progress shopping my stash for fabrics for the back. However, I was short of the green to cut all of the pieces so I 'had' to make a run to the local shop and pick up that purple! Ah. . .the sacrifices we make for our art! :) I purchased two yards because I will have a use for the leftovers in another project.
Fabric requirements for this project were six yards for the front and six yards for the back. Yes, some of the batiks and the yellow cotton fabric will be left at the end of the project. It is probable that these scraps will find their way in other projects later! But, the great news is that my initial outlay for the project was $14! This is a time when having stash fabrics was just the ticket!
|Layered and ready for stitching|
I prewashed all the fabrics and then ironed them. I prewash because I don't want a fabric bleeding into another! Batiks, especially dark and light ones seem to bleed the most! Just the other day I prewashed cream batiks, the amount of yellow and brown dye that was left behind in the sink was eye opening. I still am surprised when a light batik bleeds colors not in evidence on the fabric! Yes, bleeding still has happened; but, to a lesser degree than had I not prewashed!
I also pieced the batting from previous projects. I do this at the end of a project. Then when I want to make a bag, a placemat, I have ready to use batting. Using those batting scraps, is upcycling at its best! I've already purchased the batting so I might as well get the most use out of it!!
This was the first block of four blocks to quilt using a grid design. The rulers are smaller than what I used to quilt "Winter Ice." They are easier for me to hold. The stable tape worked better as a grip to the block than the velcro strip that was on the other rulers. I liked the results of quilting this first block!
I did do a lot of turning the block as I found I had a more challenging time to move backward and side to side. I suppose with practice, I would improve.
|Twist and turn design|
I used a 40wt purple polyester thread on the batik and a 50wt purple cotton thread on the cotton. I'll use this same thread for the entire project.
The second block of the four used the straight line ruler in a different way. I like the design and it was fun to do. I liked the spacer gauge that came with the set. If I had had this gauge, I think some of my quilting on "Winter Ice," would have been better.
|Curved design one|
|Curved design two|
I'm on track! It feels good and I will try to stay the course!