Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Sashing the Quilt As You Go (QAYG)

The back of the quilt 
Just a little eclipse news since we were almost in the path of totality when the eclipse occurred on Monday. Seeing the eclipse, as we sat in the backyard, was amazing! Sharing the experience with daughter A and the grands was beyond priceless!

When I began the QAYG project, I gave myself a couple "just for me" rules. These were to:
--Only use fabric from my stash.
--Use one thread to quilt the blocks.
--Make the project two sided.
--Use batiks on one side and cottons on the other side.

After I finished quilting the Quilt As You Go (QAYG) blocks, I was curious how they looked laid out together. I hadn't trimmed the blocks. The fabrics on the back have been parts of other projects or after buying it, I decided it wasn't the best option for the project that I was beginning. The colors say happy to me.

Add caption
The batik fabrics on the front have been in my stash for more than nine years! I tried for a number of projects to use those striped fabrics; but, either the color wasn't right or there wasn't enough! I'm happy to put these fabrics to use!

Cutting the fabrics was challenging in the beginning because the fabric on the front is directional. I needed to try to keep the lines going in the same direction.

One person with whom I shared the photos of the front and the back with said it reminded her of the candy, Skittles. It sure does! Actually, this is a great name for this project!

Notice that orange fabric in each of the photos? This is the fabric that I chose for my sashing. It is a little too close in value for the striped orange/pink fabric; but, it was the best that I had in my stash.
Front of the quilt with sashing
I tried a new (to me) template ruler to help me stitch the narrow sashing to join these blocks. You can see the template ruler in action here.  The sashing is one inch wide. I like the accuracy of this technique.

On the back, I decided to hand stitch the edge of the sashing in place because I like handwork and I like the look of the sashing without stitching on it.

Back of the quilt with sashing
36"x36" nine patch unit
To combine the blocks, you stitch blocks together until you have a unit. Then, you combine units together until all the blocks have been joined. I've included a photo of joining three units into a larger unit. This combination is a giant nine patch!

Yes, it can be a little tricky to ensure that the sashing strips line up; but, it isn't impossible.











Finished quilted center
The directions were to put the quilt together at this point and then to quilt the center block a little more. Because my choice of thread doesn't show on the front of the block, I'll share the back.
Finished Front

The designs that I chose compliment the motifs that I had already stitched. I really had to work to not switch to a different thread and to not fall back on my free motion fill stitches. I was impressed with how flat this little wonky section is at this point!

It was challenging and then I realized impossible to keep this block symmetrical. Probably I got off in the very beginning and just didn't realize it. I am calling it "in the neighborhood", "good enough" and "finished" so I moved on to attaching the remaining pieces.

Finished back

Pile of scraps--the leftovers 



















This is the pile of scraps that was left from trimming the pieces. I'll separate those into my scrap saving system.

What is left is on the QAYG project is to bind it, attach a sleeve and label. I may get to this in October.

Right now, I need to get back to the chicken project. I've been stitching French knots but still have a handful left before I quilt the flowers and border.

Next post, I'll be sharing about our trip to France.

6 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

This has turned out so lovely.

Nancy said...

Your QAYG project turned out wonderful! I actually love how the color of the sashing works with the pink stripe fabrics. It kind of makes the sashing look like an extension of the pink blocks, in a very cool way!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Luann!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy! Yes, that sashing fabric grew on me and I came to the same conclusion as you!

JoJo said...

Beautiful. I love how different each side looks. The sashing color was a perfect choice.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, JoJo! The sashing did grow on me and not that I've finished, I'm glad that I decided to go with it!