Wednesday, January 3, 2024

December ReCap and January Goals

 

Clue six of Indigo Way
My Goals for December were:

✒1. Finish the Farm Quilt. Update:I have managed to complete the ditch quilting and have begun the "fun" part of the quilting.

✖2. Get the Color project to a top. Update:While I didn't physically work on this project, I did think a lot about it. I think I am going to need to piece my background fabric to reach the size that "feels" right to me. 

✔3. Stitch another hexagon ornament.

✔4. Keep up with the blocks in the temperature quilt.

✔5. Finish the Lone Star.

✔6. Stitch some clues for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery, Indigo Way. Update: I finished clue six on New Year's Eve.

Spools emptied in 2023
✖7. Help Miss K make progress on ditch quilting her string quilt. Update: I really thought that while Miss K was home during the winter holiday, we would have at least one and maybe two opportunities for her to begin ditch quilting her quilt. 

Sadly, her mama came down with COVID a few days before vacation. Miss K helped cook meals and tidy surfaces. While her dad was at work, she provided food and drink for her mama who spent 10 days in isolation. Fortunately, no one in the family caught COVID and we were able to be together for Christmas dinner. Unfortunately, other than hemming two pairs of Miss K's jeans that sh received at Christmas, we didn't carve out time to sew.

December 31, 2023 block
✔8. Determine if I'm going to embark on a 2024 temperature quilt. Update: I'm planning to make another Temperature quilt. Gundra Erla of GE Quilt Designs is doing a version using flying geese. I'm planning to tag along.

✔9. Figure out a block to make for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) for 2024. 

✔10. Write a post that includes the quilted Christmas decor.

While I didn't meet all my goals, I did make good progress. I enjoyed Christmas and New Year's AND I worked extra hours in December because I'm subbing in for the administrative assistant position until a new person can be hired.

Selvage blocks for 2024 RBSC
I've been working on using up spools of thread. I have a lot of old thread from my grandmother's stash. Some of it isn't strong enough to use in a project, so I use it in the bobbin to secure the edges of a quilt before binding. It is a way to honor my grandma and to leave a little part of her in each of my projects. 

Kitchen towel fabrics
Last summer, my mom gifted me a big bag of thread. I've used some of it to quilt and piece projects. The bag came in handy when I helped hem a couple pairs of my granddaughter's jeans on Christmas Day! I wish I would have take photos of that process. My granddaughter was ripping the hem as my daughter pinned a leg and I was pressing, pinning and sewing on any open leg! 

Back to the thread, I emptied 15 spools of thread! Last year while I had saved the spools, I didn't capture a photo or document how many I used. 

Card attached to the Secret Agent Mystery
fat quarter bundle
My goals for January are:

1. Finish the Farm Quilt.
2. Get the Color project to a top.
3. Complete the January lesson regarding my embroidery software.
4. Audition backgrounds for the RSC. Solid fabric doesn't "feel" right to me. I have a fat quarter pack of a line of fabric. Many of the fabrics read as a solid; but, are in fact a
print with a small motif. Auditioning a few different pieced units may give me the idea of what sort of fabric will make me feel happy!
5. At least, make squares of selvages in the RSC color for the month which is green.
6. Make progress on Indigo Way.
7. Organize the stack of magazines on the studio floor.
8. Be available to help Miss K make progress on her string quilt.
9, Make progress on the half diamond shapes on my 2023 temperature quilt.
Assemble a bunch of these blocks
10.Stitch a few decorative kitchen towels.
11. Begin the Modern mystery with Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr.
12. Make a swimsuit for a new baby coming sometime this month!
13. Begin a quilt for someone who is having heart surgery in a week, Three months after her heart surgery, she will begin treatment for kidney cancer.
14. Start making blocks for the 2024 Temperature Quilt.
15. Make a block for the outgoing President of the Mt. Hood guild.
16. Spend a Sunday making greeting cards.
17. Attend an Irene Rodrick workshop.
Seventeen goals are far too many. Gertie, my inner squirrel, is making herself known again! I'm thankful to feel her presence again. While I see many hours of studio time in my future, I am telling myself whatever I achieve will be great. 

Yesterday, I spent time getting physical therapy on my knee as the surgeon said I would have a better outcome from surgery if the supportive tissue around my knee were stronger. 

Luckily, the office is about five minutes from my home. The first session went well and while I was sore afterword, this morning I'm able to move without additional which hasn't always been the case when I've had PT in the past. I'll be working extra hours again this month so my studio time will be limited. In the end, I know it will all be good. My plan is to greet each day and make the most of it!


 

2 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I've been hearing so much lately about how good physical therapy is for our knees, to strengthen those muscles that help the knees do their job! I hope you see great benefit from your PT, Terry! (I wish I could convince my hubby that PT would help his knee pain.) Have fun working on your monthly goals - you're so good about keeping track of everything you're working on. It will be fun to watch as Miss K finishes up her beautiful string quilt, too!

Janice Smith said...

Whew! I’m tired just reading your list. ;-) I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about my plans for the year ahead. I’m reluctant to put it all in print as my follow through is iffy at best, and I frequently change my mind as if project ideas are chiseled in jello.
Happy New Year and Happy Stitching!!! Janice@A Positive Outlook