Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Kerr and Ringle Secret Agent Mystery Quilt Along--Post 1

 Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle are the co- owners of The Modern Quilt Studio. I've watched them for years. Last summer they had a mystery sew along that was summer camp themed. I saw constructed components. I read lots of light heart heated banter between participants. In short, it looked and sounded fun.

Product packaging
Late fall, they made the announcement of their next mystery which is a Secret Agent Modern Mystery Quilt Along.  This mystery is billed as working with the transparency effect. I joined. I even purchased a fat quarter bundle of their Transparency fabric manufactured by Bernertex. I liked the packaging of the product!

The contents of the package
The program began January 1; but, you can still get in on the fun. The fabric bundle is out of stock; but they expect more to be available in their online store soon. With this quilt along, they place clues at a particular time on a particular website. They also record You Tube videos to explain their process and methods. I like the laid back feel of the program.

Even the bundle is treated specially
While I've had my fabric for a couple of months, I was slow in getting it pre washed and starched.  I like ALL of the fabrics even the two that likely won't be used in this project. Of course, you could use stash or purchase your palette. Bill and Weeks record a video on how to select fabrics. 

I printed my clues and read through them. I was thinking all that I needed to do was to complete my "key." which is to identify each fabric. I didn't realize that I had some blocks to make so I will get to it. I want to be in good sewing form; because it will be important to read the cutting directions with a sharp eye and brain so that I cut the pieces in a format that gives me the best use of the fabric. I sure don't want to end up short!

Ice on top of snow
Likely, I will only post that I'm making progress until the reveal of participants' projects happens. Beginning this mystery was goal number 11 on my January list.

Three inches of ice on the driveway
In other news, after being in a deep freeze since last Friday, our area has begun to warm. The freezing rain that fell yesterday on top of the snow, will take longer to thaw. It is still treacherous to walk outside as it is like being on a skating rink. . .super slick! 

3 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh my goodness, look at that ice! I'm guessing you didn't go very far on that stuff, Terry. Much more fun to play with that pretty bundle of fabric! I'll enjoy seeing what you're making with it.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

That ice looks terrible! Your fabrics look beautiful!!! Sounds like a fun project to keep you indoors, Terry!!! I'll be super interested in seeing the result of your mystery!

Theresa Ann - Your Wellness Friend said...

New fabric is always fun! I can't wait to see what your bright colors are to become. Yes, the weather is nice to sit at home, but the ice is nothing to mess with. Be safe my friend. Tell Mr. B to take it easy & it will melt on its own. ~t :)