Sunday, January 7, 2024

Clue 6 and Clue 7 of Indigo Way--post 3

 

Triangle blocks with a different background

Clue six was to make a bunch of  triangle blocks with the light blue color as the background. I finished stitching the clue on New Year's Eve. I planned to spend New Year's Day making progress on the Farm Quilt.

Bonnie pulled a fast one. She released clue seven on New Year's Day! I spent New Year's Day stitching the hour glass units. I decided to use all of my "special fabric." I knew I wouldn't have enough; but decided I would make as many units I could. I used a solid looking fabric to make the remaining units. 

Hour glass units
By the time Friday had rolled around, I had finished the hour glass units and had stitched seven of the blocks. Working half time sure cuts down the studio time! I thought that between Friday evening and last night, I would finish stitching the half of the blocks.

Correct block layout
If I could have kept the center unit in the correct  orientation, I would have easily met the goal of stitching half of the units. As it was, I continued to stitch a block and then realize I had oriented the center unit incorrectly. . .not once but seven times! I ripped and restitched a bunch!

Later today, I'll stitch more blocks. . . I will be more alert regarding that center orientation! This is a fiddly block to stitch as there are points to match and points to not cut off!

Incorrectly sewn block
Last Friday, Bonnie released clue eight which was the reveal. While I'm always excited to see if I was close in determining where the units are placed, I'm also sad that the mystery has ended. 

Some finished blocks --clue 7
This is also the time in the project that I find the most challenging to keep myself motivated to continue stitching the clues until I have a top.

I liked the reveal. I am thinking about a destination of the finished quilt. I've a lot of stitching remaining. I have a long list of goals for the month. In the end, I'll likely continue
making progress on this project because I'm concerned if I work on something else, I won't get this top finished any time soon.

I will have to determine a binding fabric. I have a chunk of a print fabric that will cover a large portion of the back. The piece is likely not large enough; so there will be piecing involved. I'll also need to determine a fabric for the sleeve.

In the meantime, I'll work a little as many days as I can until I've finished the top. Goal number six on my January list was to make progress on Indigo Way. I've made some progress and I plan make more progress this month. I will have it long armed quilted.

 I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. Please go visit. Pour yourself a cuppa, sit back and be inspired!


4 comments:

Chantal said...

Keep up the great work and you will have a great quilt in no time. All the best for 2024! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It5always fun to see the reveal of Bonnie's mystery quilts, and then to see how my blogging friends are doing with putting it together. Yours is looking so pretty with those beautiful blues you're using, Terry. Wishing you lots of determination to keep up the good progress!

Janice Smith said...

That is going to make one very pretty quilt. :-)
Janice@APositive Outlook

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, they're looking fabulous!!! Great job, Terry!!! I look forward to it!