Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Filler Blocks for the 2023 Temperature Quilt--post

December 31, 2023 block
I pieced and inserted the last block for my 2022 and 2023 Temperature quilt. I'm calling the project Deux Ans which means two years in French. The block below was December 31 2023.

I took a break one evening and didn't work on the project. After spending time on this project daily for the last two years, I missed not piecing! I was surprised! I suppose almost daily English Paper Piecing a block provided me a routine. Now, I'm missing that routine!!

Close up of upper border
I have begun adding the filler blocks to the top edge of the project. I will also add the same filler blocks to the bottom edge of the project. For now, I'm inserting a few blocks into the top most evenings. I'm not putting a deadline on completing the filler blocks. It is a fiddly process to insert the half blocks. I'm taking my time. I'm finding not having to insert a particular number is freeing!

The finished blocks
A couple Sundays ago, I was sharing the project with my friend, Theresa. That is when I saw that I had added a design feature. Gertie, my inner squirrel has been on hiatus. Had she been her usual cheery and busy self, she would have alerted me that I was altering the design.

The left side of the quilt contains blocks from the temperatures in 2022. The right side of the quilt contains blocks blocks from the temperatures in 2023. I'll likely not share a progress post until I have inserted all the blocks in the bottom edge. Goal number nine on my January list was to make progress on the half diamond shapes in the project. I have made progress and it wasn't as difficult to add that half block as I had envisioned.

Next month, I'll begin adding those half diamond shapes to the bottom of the quilt. I had planned to applique a plain purple border around the edge of the quilt; but, Gertie has been whispering to add filler blocks around all the sides ad bind it with  the purple. Hm m m m. . . .Leave me a comment with your opinion! 

While I have recorded the daily temperatures this month, I have yet to stitch a block for the temperature quilt of 2024!




1 comment:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's so amazing, Terry! You did it! I love looking at your top and seeing the flow of color, which I know means cold to warm to cold again. I know you still have lots of work to do on this one, but it's already quite an accomplishment!