Sunday, December 17, 2023

Indigo Way--Bonnie Hunter's 2023 Mystery post 2

 Stitching some of the Indigo Way clues was goal number six on my December list. I posted last month about my preparation for this project. Bonnie released the first clue the day after Thanksgiving. While I didn't begin stitching until the Tuesday after, I did download the pattern and read the clue.

Some of clue number 1
We were to make a bunch of these to combine into units. I used clips to keep like fabrics together. I liked that Bonnie gave us an easy unit to begin this mystery!

Clue number 2 in progress
Clue two was a challenge to ensure I didn't cut off any points. I found it interesting in talking in a Zoom sew session with three other people who had used a different method to make these units. There three ways were different from the tri rec ruler method that I used! How fun to be able to choose the path that works the best for you!

Some of the finished units for clue 3
Clue three was again a bunch of cutting. I found that kitting the units worked best for me. My piecing is getting better. I hardly had any amount to trim! Bonnie finger presses her units as she stitches. She saves the iron for the final press. She said that when you are working with bias edges, finger pressing only the seam helps to not stretch the bias. I tried it. I liked the result. I am now a finger presser!

Kits assembled for clue 4
Clue four again took some time to cut; but, not as much time as clues two and three! I was able to use some of my dark blue and neutral precuts for this step. It always feels great to use my scraps! 

A completed set of Clue #4
I needed to dig in my stash for more dark blue, so while the piece was drying from the starch treatment, I stitched a few units. The sewing of this clue is going quickly. I did decide it would be much easier to trim these units if I had a ruler that was the size of the unit. Bonnie seems to incorporate this size unit into her projects. Yesterday, I bought a ruler at my local quilt shop. Using that square ruler has made block trimming easier and faster!

First third completed
I'll be ready for clue five on Friday. I have almost two-thirds of the clue pieced. Gertie, my inner squirrel, saw a project that she wanted me to make. It looks quick, easy and a great hostess gift involving tea towels. As you know, she's been quiet since my car accident September 2022. I may acquiesce to her "niggling." Although, in my spare moments, I should be quilting the Farm Quilt!

Are you playing along with this mystery? Or, are you following along?

Linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework.


4 comments:

Chantal said...

Well done, you, finger presser! You're progressing along very well. Looking forward to seeing what your squirrel is tempting you with. Enjoy! ;^)

Gretchen Weaver said...

The fabrics you're using for your quilt look very nice together. I'm not sewing along, I have to see what the quilt looks like before spending time making it. It's nice when stitching is accurate enough you don't need to trim much. Happy stitching!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Looking fabulous, Terry!!! You're keeping up so good, too. I love using the Tri-Rec rulers, too. In my mind, I want to make it! In my schedule, no time yet!?! I better start downloading the clues.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fun to see all your units progressing along, Terry! I like how you're using a variety of dark blue prints in that first clue. I've never sewn a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt, but enjoy following along to see how they turn out!