Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Gardner's Mystery Reveal--Third Finish for 1st Quarter FAL 2019

Quilt label
When it comes to preparing the quilt edge for binding, usually, I mark the line for the outer edge of the quilt and stitch it.

Sometimes, I add a piece of twill tape to stabilize the edge before I stitch the binding. After I've stitched the binding the first time to the quilt, I trim the excess. This time, as I basted the outer edge line, I kept catching the backing fabric.

After ripping and restarting a number of times, I managed to still catch the backing in several spots. Rather than rip and repair, I trimmed the edge before I stitched the binding. It worked well enough that I might follow that same process another time!

Although I enjoy hand work, I decided I needed to improve my machine binding sewing skills. It is faster to stitch all but the corners via the machine! This time, I set my needle at 1. I used the 39D (a dual feed foot) and stitched using the edge of the foot as a guide for the first stitching.

I had cut my binding at 2 1/2 inches. When I start stitching the binding to the quilt, I use a basting stitch for the first six to eight inches. Then, I check to see if the folded edge of the binding is going to cover the stitching line during the second step. If it is, I restitch using my regular stitch length. If it isn't, then I change the seam depth and do the test again.

Finished back
For the second step of the machine stitched binding, I glue basted the binding in place. I like running a little bead of glue on the binding and then pressing it into place. This step helps me top stitch the binding in place without pins. I used the 10D foot with the needle position at 2 to complete this step.

I created the label and the sleeve. Some time ago, I picked up a bunch of labels from the guild free table and this one seemed to be "just" the one for this project.

The label is important. I try to include the usual information: who it is for, the inspiration and materials used. Lately, I've been including how much the materials cost and how many hours I spent. Generally, people have no idea how much actually is involved in making a quilt. Also, I like knowing what batting went into the project, what thread I used, etc. Once it is documented, I can remember more of the story! I hope all of you label each one of your quilts. A simple date and your signature will suffice.
Finished front

I hand stitched the label and the sleeve into place and wella. . . .A FINISHED project. This project began as an online mystery BOM (Block of the Month) in September 2015. You can read the various posts here:
Piecing Posts: BOM Updates, BOM Update, Stitching the Clues
Quilting Posts: Quilting the Mystery, Quilting the Center, Square in a Square Border, Stitching Sunshine, Log Cabin Background, Shadows and Final Border

It looks great on a bed although you will have to take my word for it because I can't take a photo of the whole quilt as there just isn't room! I still like the back and think it could be a reversible quilt! I used 25 yards of fabric from my stash in this project. I've "petted" some of the batiks for more than ten years so seeing the fabric in a quilt instead of on the shelf is wonderful!

My goal this year is to use 57 1/2 yards of fabric from my stash. With this project, I have now used 25 3/4 yards and have 31 3/4 yards left.

This project was goal number 1 on my 1st Quarter 2019 FAL list. It is my third finish for the quarter. I will be gifting it to my mom for her birthday in January 2020!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It turned out beautiful! Your mom is going to love it!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy! I hope she will find it useful.

JoJo said...

It is awesome!!!

Luann Fischer said...

Such a lovely gift, and the label will be enjoyed by generations to come.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you so much JoJo and Luann. I so hope it will be enjoyed and used!