Sunday, February 24, 2019

Stash and Go bag--Fifth Finish 1st Quarter FAL 2019

Vinyl pocket on bag front
I thought that I would stitch this project before Christmas. . . well, I guess I did . . .but, in another year than when I had planned. Hey, in the end, it is all good!!!!

The first two bags I stitched, I had access to a series of posts that the pattern maker had posted. The photos were helpful. Unfortunately, the photos are no longer visible on those posts. I struggled with the written pattern directions. I ripped many of the steps and several steps I ripped three or four times!!!! Perhaps, I should not take an eight month break between projects!

To cut costs, patterns are produced with the minimal amount of printing; but, more photos and directions would have been helpful when the links in the pattern directions became inaccessible!
Inside of bag

For this project, I used the soft and stable that Annie recommends. I like the firmer end product so I will use it again in the future. When I was cutting the accent pieces, I took time and fussy cut the strips so that the words or a graphic design was featured. I liked the results.

One of the pattern features that I like is the vinyl pocket that is on the front of the bag. It is the perfect size for a card or a boarding pass. It is a challenge to line the pocket stitching up to the mesh pockets; but, I was close enough!
Finished bag ready for gifting

I used the zippers on a roll for this project. While I didn't find inserting the zippers, difficult, I never did figure out how I had applied the binding in my first two bags. In the end, what I did worked. I'll do some more searching. Perhaps, I will find a binding tutorial that will refresh my memory as to what I did the first time!!

This time I used gray mesh for the pockets. I like the look and am pleased with the overall project. Next time, I would make a larger curve on the corners as it was tricky stitching the binding around those tight corners. I still need practice with the binding application. I suppose another bag is in my future!

I didn't have many leftover scraps. What did remain, I cut into useable units following Bonnie Hunter's scrap saving system.

I used one yard of fabric from my stash. My goal this year is to use 57 1/2 yards of fabric from my stash. With this project, I have now used 27 yards and have 30 3/4 yards left. This was goal number 12 on my 1st quarter FAL list. It is my fifth finish for the quarter.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

It turned out wonderful! Your binding looks perfect so however you did it, it's a good way.

Luann Fischer said...

Nicely done, even if it took a little longer than planned for.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Many and Luann! My machine binding is looking better with each project and I'm not fighting so much with it as I stitch. As for the time spent. . .I should be more respectful of calling it a day sooner when I sew and then rip out what I sewed. When I've done that three times, I need to switch projects!!!!

Ella said...

Great bag! Congrats on the finish. On behalf of the FAL crew, thanks for joining in!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Ella. Thanks for all that you do for FAL. Participating has been so helpful!