Saturday, February 16, 2019

Pop Up--Fourth Finish 1st Quarter FAL 2019

View when collapsed
At least a couple years ago, I purchased this Pop-Up kit at a quilt show. I remember thinking that the sample sure looked doable as well as making a nice gift. I read through the directions and then I put it away. . .which was a bad move because when I took out the directions to start, I didn't feel nearly as confident as I did when I bought the product!

I cut out the pieces from fabrics that I had previously selected. For small projects, I've been trying to use fabrics from my fat quarter collection. These pieces were parts left from a previous project. I thought that I had enough; but, was short one six inch square for the bottom. I had to do a little searching but, I found a fabric that would work. I also needed to piece the fabric that I had selected for the inner part of the pop up. I like the extra sparkle the pieces added.

After I had cut out the pieces, I cut the leftover scraps into useable pieces using Bonnie Hunter's scrap saving system. I now have a few squares and a couple 1 1/2 " strips ready to be placed into a future scrappy project.
Finished Pop-Up

The Pop-Up went together well and I ripped nothing. . .which is rare! I thought that cutting and piecing the circle would be a challenge. I found that cutting the exact circle size with my circle ruler worked great.

The ties or the elastic are used to close the Pop-Up for transport. For this project, I decided to attach both the ties and the elastic strip to it. I didn't know which would work the best. I also thought it might be nice to have a choice!  I think that I like the tie closure best.  I also decided that I wanted the ties to be on the inside of the pop up. Another time, I might choose to put the ties on the outside for a more decorative look. This Pop-Up might be gifted. It could be used as a thread/scrap catcher when sewing with a small group or going to a class/retreat.

Although the pattern calls for two fat quarters, I used about a quarter yard of fabric. My goal this year is to use 57 1/2 yards of fabric from my stash. With this project, I have now used 26 yards and have 31 3/4 yards left. This was goal number 18 on my 1st quarter FAL list. It is my fourth finish for the quarter.

2 comments:

JoJo said...

I love it. You are making great progress on your goals.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, it was fun to make and I look forward to making another one in the future! It wasn't nearly as difficult as I had imagined!!