Wednesday, January 9, 2019

1st Quarter Goals--Finish-A-Long 2019

#1. Add the fun quilting to this mystery BOM

I started two new projects last quarter which meant I didn't complete many finishes. I also fell 7 1/2 yards short of my goal of using 50 yards of fabric from my stash. This year, I plan to use 57 1/2 yards of fabric from my stash. With this goal, I'll keep pace with the 50 yard annual goal. (I have no idea how many years it would be before I. . . .gasp. . .used even the big chunks in my stash!) I am determined to sew fabrics that I have petted for years into useable items!
#2. Complete trio of sisters

Working with my bullet journal has helped me document my progress as well as identify some of my shortfalls. I will continue to intersperse big projects with smaller ones. I will continue to make weekly or monthly goals on projects that have been in the queue for a long time. I had success doing that last year.
#3. Quilt this top

This year is the year of the butterfly. I have three or four partially finished quilts with a butterfly theme. It is time to move those projects from the unfinished state to the finished state!
#4. Stitch a skirt with this fabric

I plan to continue my journey of finishing projects that I began; but, didn't finish. I even have a few of Martha's projects to finish. I vow to start new projects and to have fun along the way. I anticipate trying a new technique or two. Perhaps, this will be the year that my "cold" daughter will finally be warmer!

My goals for the first quarter of the year are listed below.
#5. Get this project out of the fabric phase

#1. Finish the quilting of this mystery BOM that I started in 2015. Last quarter, I quilted the center and the square in a square border. I had planned to finish this project last quarter; but, was side tracked with a couple new projects. Sometimes, inspiration takes a long time to come to me!!
#6. A potential hat or purse?

#2. Finish the trio of sisters that I started last quarter. This is a book club quilt. It is the first time that I've drawn a figure and then painted the details on cloth. I had great help from my five year old grand to draw the faces.

#3. Finish this piece. It was the machine applique project in a Karen Kay Buckley class last May. Last quarter, I finished the top.



#7. Stitch a second selvage tote
#4. Stitch this gingham fabric into a skirt for one of the grands. It's been on the list for two years.

#5. Make some progress on this project. It's been in the fabric stage for over two years.

#6. I made a skirt and a vest out of this fabric for one grand. I still have leftovers. It may become a hat or a purse for the youngest grand.
#8. Quilt this star top

#7. Last year, I made a tote with these fabrics and selvages. I had planned to add a pocket to the back of the tote; but, didn't because I would have sewn over my inside pockets. I'd like to make another tote and put that pocket to good use! I'm not sure that I have enough of the rust. . . .but, I guess that is part of the journey to choose a fabric that will mix or another one all together!! Perhaps, I can use the lining fabric from the last tote to make the pockets. I will need to select a coordinating fabric for the lining.
#9. Bonnie Hunter Mystery
#8. Quilt this star top that I stitched last quarter. The whole project came from my stash. It started as a result from reading a blog post from Gigi's Thimble. Amber hosted a quilt a long making one of her patterns. I had fun piecing the top and I EVEN completed each step on time!!!

#9. Finish Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune Mystery. This is the first year that I have participated. I enjoyed the process!

#10. Add some embroidery to the color block squiggle and get that piece finished! I've made a number of practice stitch outs of some words. I'm not confident enough to set up the embroidery so it is centered and I'm not totally happy with how the stitches look. Maybe this quarter will be the one that I get the project to the top stage!

#11. Finish the appliqué, quilt and bead this piece. It was on the list last quarter.
#10. Add some embroidery to this project
#11. Appliqué, quilt and bead




#12. Stitch another Stash and Go bag










#12. Make another stash and go bag. I'm determined to develop better skills with the binding!
#13. Raw edge applique

#13. Continue progress on the butterfly piece began in September in a Susan Carlson class.
#14. Miss J's embroidery project

#14. Work with Miss J to finish embroidering her artwork. Miss J will determine what it will be. . .!!

#15. Work with Miss K on her cross stitch project. She wants to gift it to a friend for Valentines Day.

#16. Stitch a second grocery tote bag with the black mesh that I bought at a quilt/craft show a couple years ago. I've a lot of mesh. . .some  black, some red, some yellow and some blue.

#15. Miss K's cross stitch project
#16. Make a grocery tote with these fabrics














#17. Skirt for Miss K to sew
#18. Make a pop up
#19. Potholders--4
#20. and #21. Outfits for the grands

#17. Stitch a skirt with Miss K. This looks like a fun project and the supplies were given to me.

#18. Make a pop up container. I bought several of these at a show some time ago. It would make a nice gift.

#19. Make four potholders from this pattern. It was a Martha project.

#20. and #21. Make a couple outfits out of this knit fabric for the grands. My mother gifted me the fabric. I wonder what her original use was when she bought it.

#22. Make the bread basket, napkin and napkin rings to accessorize the placemats I made last month. I will need to purchase fabric for the napkins and bread basket.
#22. Stitch the accessories to the placemats
#23. Make a scarf
#24. Make a pair of shorts
#23. Make a scarf out of this fabric. My mother also gifted me this fabric. These colors are her colors so when it is finished, I'll gift it back to her. Again, I wonder what her intended purpose for it was. It will be fun to hear what she says when she sees her fabric returned to her in a different format! There are yards of this fabric so I could make several scarves. . .for now, I'm beginning with one!

#24. I picked up this sparkly green fabric from the free table last fall. I think I might be able to stitch a pair of shorts for Miss J.
#25. Stitch this bag

#25. I picked up this bag kit from the free table last fall. I think it might be an item that could be sold at the quilt show next fall.

It's a big list with many projects rolled over from last quarter.  I believe that there is a enough variety to keep me busy if I'm stumped on another project. Yes, the list includes, gasp, clothing items. I've been "gifted" clothing fabrics that I need to use as I just don't have space to store those fabric. . .nor do I want to store them!!

Actually, I'm not all that interested in garment sewing; but, sometimes, out of necessity I make clothes for myself. Of course, if a grand wants a piece of clothing, I'm all in!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great list! I look forward to following your progress on these (and some new projects) throughout the year!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Good to read one of your comments again, Nancy! I'm focused (for the time being) on quilting that mystery quilt since I want to finish. . .but, I do want to do other projects too!!!!

Marti said...

Wow! You aren't going to be able to leave the sewing machine in the next three months! That is an impressive list. I can't wait to see your finish up post.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Yep, Marti, I should be "chained" to my machine/studio! Hah!!! I've lots of projects and use this list to discourage myself from beginning another project when I see something fun!

a.fox.made.this said...

I love the idea of committing to using a certain yardage of stash, I may have to give that one some thought. Good luck with your finishes, that's a really good list.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for stopping by, Alex. Yes, my plan is to make room on my shelves for new fabric purchases as well as reclaim spaces that my project lists are occupying! Most importantly, my plan is to have fun as I play!

JoJo said...

Whew...I'm tired just reading about all those projects. Although, if I were as brave as you to list all of mine, I'd probably not leave the house for a week in despair that I'll never get caught up.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Oh, I'm not brave. . .I've only listed SOME of my many projects that are in view when I stitch in the studio! I so want to be that 50 plus yard stash goal this year!!!

Luann Fischer said...

I always enjoy seeing other people’s projects that are on their list to make or finish. The fabric for your mom’s scarf #23 is beautiful. Will you make an infinity style scarf? AND best of all I love seeing your grandkids as they get into the ‘stitchin’ side of things. Have a great day.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Luann! I saw a scarf on a Saturday sewing show that I hope to make which isn't an Infiniti scarf. Sewing with the grands makes my heart happy!