Wednesday, February 27, 2019

End of the Month

A couple heart blocks
Tomorrow is the final day of February. Where the time goes. . .I don't know!!!

I finished four projects this month. One project was an online mystery quilt that I started in 2015! If you missed that post, you can read it here. I have a pop up and a bag ready for gifting. I'm again practicing regularly with my machine embroidery software.

I stitched two quilt blocks. One block was supposed to be a heart in bright fabrics including some purple that measured 6 1/2 inches square. The other block could be any design that measured 8 1/2 inches square using browns/earth tone fabrics. I looked at Pinterest for inspiration for the blocks. I found several and decided to give one pattern a try.
Star Patch--layered and pin basted

It is interesting that these are the same blocks, with sashing added to the top block. I like both blocks. Miss K has talked about making a heart quilt so she might like this block pattern. If you want to make a block, the directions are here.

Last week, I layered and pin basted Star Patch. I'm not sure when I'll begin quilting it; but, it is waiting for me!! First, I plan to stitch in the ditch ESS (every stinking seam)! After that, I hope I have heard what the quilt is wanting so I'll know where to start stitching!
Fill stitch manipulation exercise example

The embroidery software lesson this month was about manipulating fill stitches. I enjoyed working through the lesson. Miss J thought that it was interesting as she provided input on which manipulations looked the best to her. The end stitch sample may become a quilt label. I think it would be great for a youth quilt.

I also embroidered the word for the dog wall hanging. I'll save more information regarding that process for a later post. Of course, during the process, the project wanted a different approach. I am having fun playing with different options. Miss J offers her opinions too which has made this project extra special. While it felt great to see progress, I will be a little sad when we finish it!

Laundered faces drying for the next class
In February, I trained: 9 in Lay Rescuer CPRs; 6 as Lifeguards; 9 as Lifeguard Instructor/Trainers; 27 in Basic Life Support CPRs for a total of 51 people. (Year to date, I've trained 160 people.) When I teach classes at the community center, I get to clean the faces and the pocket masks too. I'm including a photo of the supplies drying. I suppose some may find the view creepy; but, I wanted to share the amount of supplies it takes for a class. This class had nine participants attend with 11 participants enrolled. It is funny looking laundry!

We did postpone the community center class because the day before I was to teach, about four inches of snow fell on top of a thin layer of ice. It is rare for Mother Nature to provide us with snow that sticks so late in the year.

This week, she even provided us with a couple days of either no school or late starts because of snow and ice! Because snow/ice is rare for our area, people aren't prepared to drive in it. When they venture out, accidents that clog the roadways happen. Basically, it is a mess! It is smarter and safer to stay home and quilt!

In a few days, I will be speaking to a small guild--My topic is "Finding Your Artist." I'll be showing my challenge and book club quilts as I talk about the how I was inspired to create each one.  This will be a first for me. I'm nervous; but, in a good way!

Also next month, I plan to continue working through my list of projects for the quarter. I am using my
bullet journal. I still find it helpful to review my monthly goals daily. I completed all but two goals that I had listed. I haven't done as well with my habit tracker; but, I plan to do better in March!  All in all, February was a great month.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

You really did have a productive month! I love the heart blocks and the embroidered giraffe. Nice to have a grand to help with ideas!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, Grands make my life extra special! The giraffe was totally fun!! Thanks!

Janice Smith said...

“Finding Your Artist” sounds as if it will be a fun presentation. Relax and enjoy showing your beautiful quilts to the guild. :-)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Janice, I hope it will be a fun presentation for the members. Time will tell!