Sunday, January 20, 2019

Quilting the Mystery Fourth Step--Stitching Sunshine!

Flower like shape in square in a square block
Last month, I was ready to quilt the next three borders in the Mystery BOM. I didn't have a clue what I should quilt. I doodled. I looked at Pinterest for inspiration. I doodled some more; but, nothing came to me for the next section of the quilt.

One day in January, I threaded the machine and put the quilt under the needle. Honestly, I get sweaty palms when quilting without a plan! Before I began, I had a feeling that I should use a different thread. I rethreaded the machine with some pink thread and quilted the square in a square blocks just as I had quilted the ones in the inner border. I was quilting sunshine!

I have an idea for adding some shadow or detail to this block later. For now, I'm happy with the quilting. As I quilted, I was thinking about the variegated thread that I had used on the star points in the center of the quilt. I thought about quilting a slightly curved line in the dark section of the log cabin blocks.
Curved lines in dark section of log cabin

I didn't doodle this idea. I did chalk the lines to test my idea. I liked it enough to stitch it.  I did use a ruler; however, it was difficult to hold. I found using the chalk line as a guideline to be helpful. The reason the ruler was difficult to use is that it is large and parts of it would bump into the machine. The first few times when I couldn't move the ruler and the fabric, I thought I had a thread malfunction! It wasn't thread related it was the ruler bumping into the bed of the machine. I'm getting better at being aware of positioning the ruler so this impasse happens less often.

I have chuckled because I tried hard to finish this quilt last month. I've yards of fabric in this project. Unfortunately, the quilting vibe didn't come to me. As I quilted the log cabins, I thought about quilting leaves to fill the background of this section.
View of the quilting in the three borders

Pinwheel stars quilted
I quilted that skinny brown border and the pinwheels. In the brown border, I quilted straight lines similar to what I quilted with the other two skinny brown borders. To repeat the line theme, I quilted straight lines in the pinwheel. I also quilted a curved line in the inner pinwheels. I challenged myself to use a curved ruler so my lines would be more consistent.

I am so happy to be moving toward the finish line with this project! I've logged about 20 hours on this section of the quilting. I'm noticing that my breaks are as long or longer as my quilting sessions. Pushing and pulling the quilt along with holding the ruler is tough on my body. Taking many breaks is imperative to being able to continue later as opposed to taking days off in between sessions!

Regarding my quilting muse, perhaps, I was so focused on quilting that I forgot to listen to what the quilt was telling me. I hope our  communication continues to be on good terms throughout the rest of the quilting process!

I also feel it is time to name this quilt.  It will be gifted to my mother for her 80th birthday which was January of 2018. Giving it to her in 2019 will be just fine!

In the meantime, if you have a suggestion for a name, please leave it in the comments! Thanks!




6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is looking great and your mother will love it! You are really doing some incredible ruler work! I wish I had a name suggestion for you, but naming things is the hardest part of quilting for me!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy. Often, naming isn't a big deal for me. . .this time it is. . .well, maybe someone will suggest something. I'm determined to get better at ruler work!

Luann Fischer said...

Terry,
I’ll bet you’re starting to come up with names that will speak to you. Ask the grands, they’ll have plenty of ideas. Your quilting is really looking good. When I free motioned on my domestic it was mostly walking foot type work, and very small projects. Since acquiring my longarm machine, I’m able to enjoy it so much more. I have a computer that I use because of an issue with my right bicep and the inability to maneuver the machine without discomfort. I have rulers for it, but I’ve been trying to get so much finished that I’m putting learning how to use them on the counter, totally off the back burner! LOL. I loved my quilt that I made from this pattern, and I may just make another one in similar fabrics that I used for the first. Not something I do very often. I’m a once around the block type of person.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, I did come up with a name. . .funny how when you put out the request, inspiration will strike! Quilting on my domestic machine is a challenge for my body. I'd love to invest in a longarm. Until then, I'll keep working with the tools I have. As for making a pattern a second time. . .I'm with you. . .doesn't happen too often! Thanks for your kind comment about my free motion quilting!

Diane-crewe said...

sometimes we need to give ourselves permission to sit back and think ... or not .. about what we are going to do .. and just wait for the inspiration to come along in its own sweet time x

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Diane. . .so true! I need to remember that it is "sweet" time as I tend to think of other adjectives that are not nearly as nice while I await inspiration! :)