Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Play--The Finish--post 3

To quilt this piece, I first stitched in the ditch in, as Cindy Needham says, "Every Stinkin' Seam!" I used a monofilament thread in the needle and a navy 50 weight thread in the bobbin. As I stitched in the ditch, I thought about the quilting I have seen on Modern quilts. There often aren't leaves, stipples or tiny hearts. There are lines. Often the lines are repeated evenly across the quilt. Some lines are straight. Some lines are curved. Sometimes there are grids and sometimes, there are bubbles. Often there are ghost blocks like nine patches, flying geese and triangles.

Getting ready to stitch bubbles
Bubbles seemed like the place to begin. I used a template from Westalee Design Starter Set that Sew Steady distributes. I liked the openness of the design. I used a light grey 50 weight cotton thread. In between the bubbles I added a few curved bumps. 

Completed bubbles
I'm coming clean here, there are even a few curved filler motifs, The variety gives the eye something to view. It was a challenge to not stitch more filler designs!

Free hand pebbles
I moved on to quilt another grey section. I like to make as few thread changes as possible so I'll often stitch with one color thread as long as I can. This time, I chose to free hand quilt large pebbles. The pebbles are a little more dense than the bubbles. I did leave a quarter inch of space around the blue X so the pebbles had a border. I also stitched down the center of the skinny grey strips I had pieced in the project.

Blue X shapes
As I had finished the blue X area quilting, I had "X" on my brain. Actually, my inner squirrel, Gertie, wanted to quilt X's. She liked them in the previous modern quilt that I finiahed. I decided to use a blue polyester 40 weight thread to quilt several large X shapes in the pumpkin shaded fabric of the lower left quadrant. So the stitching stood out more, I stitched over the lines four times. No ideas were coming to mind, as to how to fill in the space around the X. When that happens, I move to another space. Often an idea or two will come to me when I'm stitching in another space. I did use a template ruler to help me make the lines appear straight.

More blue Xs
Once completed, I looked at the piece to see where I could repeat the shape, but, on a smaller scale. I settled on a pumpkin curve in the upper left quadrant. I did chalk the Xs as a way to audition my idea and to evenly disperse the motif across the area.

Stitching a grid
There were more areas to use the blue thread; but, I was out of ideas. I switched to a dark green thread and stitched a grid in the upper and lower right quadrants.

Stitching another style of X
There were some other areas in upper left quadrant that I stitched an X and then echoed the design. 

Stitching a motif on the triangle bands
I also stitched a simple shape in the dark green triangles. I echoed this shape and stitched ghost triangles into the remaining area of the curved areas.I started with the light grey band and later, I switched to the grey thread and stitched triangles in the dark green bands. Again, chalking the line allowed me to audition the shape.

Straight line quilting
Using a couple shades darker orange thread than the fabric, I moved on to quilting the lighter orange areas. I decided to quilt straight lines as often as possible. I decided that I would use straight lines to outline the blue Xs that I had stitched earlier. I decided to keep the spacing the same; but, orient the lines in different directions. Changing the line orientation gives the eye some interest.

Another area of grid quilting
Then, I decided to move on to the blue section and create another grid in that area. I used a one inch grid on the diagonal. I wanted to stitch water in the other large blue area; but, I thought it would be better to add some stitches to the lime green areas first. I've found if I distribute the quilting as I work on the piece I have less of a chance of having to ease fullness later.

Stitching flying geese and a few curves
Using the triangle shape as inspiration, stitched triangles in the green band. I was careful to stitch the shapes in the same direction so I had a sort of flying geese effect. I measured inch and a half segments and marked each segmentwith chalk. I eyeballed an chalked a line in the center of the green. From there I used a ruler template to stitch the geese.

I also switched thread and stitched a curved shape into a light orange section of the quilt. I spaced the curves apart to give the area an airier feel. While the orange thread was in the machine I stitched a few flying geese in another section. I now had geese in three of the four quadrants.

Adding a few flying geese in the orange.
In the phot above, you a see my audition of some curved lines around the dark green triangles. 

View of the various textures
I did stitch the water. I used gently curved lines. I sewed about a quarter of the lines with the polyester thread and the remaining lines with a cotton thread that read the color of the fabric. In this piece, most of the time, I chose thread that matched the fabric. My goal with the quilting was to add texture. 

Stitched some ghost triangles in blue 
polyester thread
With each piece I stitch, I hope the initial design will catch your eye from across the room and you will want to view the piece more closely. I hope the quilting will keep your eye busy so that you will stay a while!

A section of the quilting motifs
It took me days to quilt this small piece. I contemplated what I'd like to stitch. Then I'd stitch it. Sometimes, I wasn't able to capture "the look" I had in my head or the stitching was too wobbly. In those cases, I spent some time unstitching. For the amount of thread in this piece, the unstitching was minimal.

View of the "water" lines
I added a few more lines in the green arcs. This time, I curved the lines slightly.

Adding a few more lines in the green arcs
When I found myself in an area that needed something, I often added large pebbles.

Transitions between motifs and shapes
When I became stuck with what to insert in one of the green arcs, I decided to add some petal shapes with pebbles in the background.

Adding some petal shapes

When I became stuck with the large lime green space, I followed Cindy's advice of dividing the space into a smaller unit. I eye balled some triangles that I filled in with a pattern and surrounded with pebbles.

My favorite section of the quilting
On I went, stitching shapes into each section. I did make an effort to relate the quilting to another part of the project. I also made an effort to tweak the quilting so it was similar; but not a match. I made the shapes smaller or larger. I changed thread colors. I moved the lines into a different arrangement. Sometimes, I used curved lines.

Added Xs in the cream fabric
I spent a little time in a light orange section and stitched a section of match sticks.

Did a little match stick quilting
I had fun quilting this project. I used a few ruler templates--12 inch arc; four inch arc and two inch circle from Westalee Designs.

Most of the thread used
While I am pleased with the final quilting, I am now wondering if I achieved the modern vibe.

Blocking in process.
I did need to block the quilt. Once it was dry, I squared the edges and readied it for a facing.

Back
With the leftover backing, I could have either used the remainder for the sleeve or for the facing. There wasn't enough for both. I decided I would use the remaining backing for the sleeve. I picked out a red solid for the facing.

Label
I used a leader/ender block I made during the process as the label. I estimate I used 3.75 yards of fabric from stash. To date, I've used four yards of fabric from stash. Total fabric purchased since my February fabric ban is 16 yards. I need to continue with the finishes to be able to count the fabric I've been using from my stash! This project finished at 37 inches wide by 34 inches high.

Front
Finishing this project was goal number 12 on my July list. If you missed the previous two posts on this subject, the links are: Post 1Post 2 It is my entry for the small group modern challenge which was to take a traditional block and modernize it. It is also my entry for the book, "Prayers for Sale" by Sandra Dallas.

I'm linking to: Carol at To Do Tuesday; Alycia at Finished or Not Friday and Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilting.

9 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Terry, first and foremost, this turned out FANTASTIC!!! I love your big bubbles set off by tiny pebbles here and there, the X quilting in turquoise thread against orange fabric, the matchstick and the ghost patchwork quilting, all of it! Congratulations and yes of course it looks like modern quilting! If you wanted to go in an even more modern direction next time, I would suggest incorporating some quilting that “breaks the rules” of staying within the boundaries of patchwork seams. Like subdividing larger background areas with different types of quilting, or adding a swath of quilting in a path that travels across your quilt and totally ignores the patchwork it crosses over, in combination with other places where the quilting stays within bounds. I think you would love Bethanne Nemesh’s online “Breaking Boundaries With Blended Quilts” class for more modern quilting ideas that go beyond just straight lines etc. But I think you are already on the right track and doing beautiful work. Congratulations! Also — I thought of you and your Gertie “inner squirrel” this morning when I was outside playing with my dog. There was something sqwawking at us from high up in a palm tree and I looked up to see that it was a bossy angry squirrel! Is there such a thing as a creative OUTER squirrel that yells at you to get back to work on your UFOs? If so, I think mine found me this morning!

JustGail said...

I'm not far into my quilting efforts so certainly no expert on what qualifies as modern quilting., I'd say you did a Right Fine Job at it. And WooHoo! on finishing a goal on the list. This little quilt is wonderful.

Anne-Marie said...

Well done!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It was fun to see all the different kinds of quilting you did on this project, Terry! It made me want to look closer at the photo of the front when all the quilting was done and looks great to me - interesting and modern. Congratulations on your finish!

Vicki in MN said...

You did an amazing job on this quilt! Very modern indeed:)

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This quilt is stunning, Terry! Your quilting is superb ; you did such a beautiful job quilting the perfect motif in each section. I love your label too! Fantastic. Hugs

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is FABULOUS!!! I love how you used so many different motifs to make each section stand out!! You did an amazing job!!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, wonderful finish! I love how you planned every quilting area, and the very interesting result, this is a stunning piece of art!

Janice Smith said...

I enjoyed seeing how you quilted each section. . . good job!
Janice@A Positive Outlook