Sunday, July 21, 2024

The Farm Quilt--A Finish!--post 7

Separating the layers to process the scraps
Goal number five on my July list was to process the scraps from making The Farm quilt. I patiently use Jack, my seam ripper, to remove any stitching in the trimmed pieces. I layout the batting and stitch the pieces together. I generally butt the edges together and zig zag the edges together. I'll use this "pieced" batting in small projects. Sometimes, the pieced sections end up large enough to be used in larger projects. 

Batting pieced for the next project 
Jack also helps me remove the stitches from any pieced fabrics used in the quilt front and/or back.  I cut the pieces into useable segments and put them in their prospective baggies. I file according to size and color. I save scraps that are at least three quarters of an inch wide by two and a half inches tall to five inch strips.

Strings, 1 1/2", 2 1/2", 3 1/2" and 5" strips
Goal number four on my July list was to document the finish of The Farm quilt.  In my previous post regarding this subject, I had finished quilting the top. I figure it took me about 84 hours to quilt, bind, label and add the sleeve. I will be gifting it to my granddaughter late fall or late winter.

View of the back and front

It feels great to have finished this project! My granddaughter loves animals. She will appreciate the cats on this label!

Label
If you want the history on this project, the previous posts are: The Farm Quilt and Update-- Post 6; Farm Quilting Progress--post 5; Farm Quilt Progress--post 4; Churn Dash Is A Top and There Is A Pieced Back--post 3; Churn Dash Quilt Progress--post 2; Grand Kid Visit-Churn Dash Quilt--post 1. May 16, 2021 or post one was our initial post about this project. 

Finished front
I used 10 3/4 yards of fabrics from my stash. This makes a total of 1 1/4 yards of fabrics used since the beginning of the year. Fabric purchased since my self imposed hopping ban in February is at 16 yards. I need to continue quilting to end up with more finishes!

I'm linking to Alycia at Finished or Not Friday, Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilting and Cynthia at Oh Scrap.

7 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Well done Terry, this is a cute quilt! I love to watch the I-Spy centers, and the border is beautiful too. Cute little pines! The label is great, including the taking care data ;) Thank you for sharing, it's going to be a beautiful gift.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a sweet quilt - I love it, Terry! So fun to look up close at those farm animal blocks. I really like the tree fabric for the border, too. I bet you're so happy to have this one finished, and even scraps processed and put away. I'm impressed!

Cathy said...

Oh, I love the front and the back of The Farm Quilt. Well done!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your Farm quilt looks fabulous, Terry. What a wonderful quilt to give to your dear granddaughter. Love your Churn Dash quilt too- such a happy quilt. How fun to name your seam ripper (Hmm I should do the same) .Sounds like Jack served you well in processing the scraps. Have a lovely day. Hugs.

Vicki in MN said...

Your granddaughter will adore checking out all the animals throughout this quilt.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wonderful finish for a loved one!!! You kept detail time records, too--always interesting to see how much time it actually takes!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a great quilt!! 84 hours of labor and all!! Your grand daughter is going to love it!!!
and a churn dash block to boot - love it!