Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Free Hand Curves---Post 1

Fabric choices
Goal number six on my February list was to attend a Cindy Grisdela workshop. Last weekend, I attended her two day on line Free Hand Curves workshop. One might think that in six hours of class with sewing time after, a number of blocks would be created. Several people in class did create multiple blocks. I made parts and sort of finished one block.

The beginning of a curve
I did add to my bag of techniques and at some point, I will finish my start. The piece will be small. Perhaps, a little larger than four blocks.

Parts waiting to be added to a block
Building the parts, took more effort than I had thought. I didn't have many scraps to piece as leader and enders nor did I have chunks of scraps to build into bigger parts. Perhaps, these parts will find a home in the project or maybe not. 

Blocks at the end of class
I used a ruler to cut the initial square of fabric and to square the block. Otherwise, I free hand cut the fabric. I used burnt orange, lighter orange and a dark green, all colors not ones I often use, to help me broaden my palette. 

I didn't find the joy in this class like I did in Irene Roderick's class. Perhaps, using a palette instead of two colors as a start had something to do with it. Perhaps, the multitude of ums from the teacher clicked something in my brain to make me feel the effects of that car accident again. Who knows. . I did get a terrible headache and was nauseous at the class end each day. Such a weird set of symptoms as classes should be fun and headache free!


3 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this class very much, Terry! I think the pieces you ended up making turned out really neat, though. It can be hard to figure out how to make improv blocks like yours come together into a cohesive whole, though. I haven't done any improv like that in a long time, but it's tempting to give it a try again!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I agree--I wish you could've enjoyed the class and had fun. But wow, Terry, on the pieces you've made so far! You have an amazing collection of curves to put together for a small piece!!!

Anonymous said...

That one block looks fabulous to me. I'd call it done right there.Betty the quilter.