Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Cataract Surgery and Embroidery Software Lesson

Leaf design for a jacket front
July 1, I had cataract surgery on my right eye. Of all the surgeries I have had, this was the one I was concerned about having. Eyesight is such a necessary part of life!

Christmas tree with berries
We left home at 9am and didn't return until after 4:30pm. There was a general delay because a surgery or two went over the 15 minute mark. I was okay with the extra wait. If my eye needed a little extra attention, I'd want the surgeon to take the time to attend to the issue. After waiting an hour and a half for the surgery--the paperwork says to plan on two hours, I had a chat with my husband. He, of course, thought I was finished, so taking the time to let him know is I was still in the queue was good.  If I hadn't been out at two hours and five minutes, he would have been asking what was happening!

Watermelon for a placemat
A few minutes after I had returned to the waiting area, the surgeon moved through the area checking everyone's eye. She made a notation on a piece of tape on each of our foreheads. From there, we each met the anesthesiologist. I chose to have my eye deadened as I couldn't imagine holding my eye still while the surgeon removed the cataract and replaced the lens. The deadening process was painful. Not kidney stone painful; but, close. The needle insertion wasn't bad. It was the contents of the plunger going into my eye that hurt. The anesthesiologist said the worst pain was over and she was right. Getting our eyes ready for the surgeon happened about 15 minutes before the surgeon was ready for each of us.

I learned that it was a slow day with 29 surgeries. I can't imagine doing the same surgery 29 times in a day, let alone doing it day after day! Twenty-nine seemed like a full day to me! The surgeon operated out of two rooms. When she was in one room, staff were cleaning and prepping the other room for the next patient. The staff stayed with their assigned room. 

Flower with filler stitches  
When the room was ready, they brought in the patient to get ready for the surgeon. The surgeon entered. She put on fresh gloves,  gown and mask.  There were at least two other staff in the room. 

The surgeon doesn't say much. The staff must be used to her terms and approach. A nod, a word is all they need from her for them to retired the object that she requested. I found the position my head needed to be in was painful after about 15 minutes. I developed quite a headache before the surgery ended. I think the positioning aggravated the previous car accident injuries of my neck/spine. When she removed the cataract, I was amazed at how bright the light seemed. 

Flower stitched as a postcard
She took quite a bit of time in the removal. There were some actual conversations when it came time to place the lens. She placed it several times. Every time there was movement, it made me feel queasy. No way would I have imagined I'd be wanting to vomit during this surgery! I barely made it. Once she had positioned the lens to her satisfaction, the nausea stopped.

She said that when she lifted the last corner of the cataract from the sac or the lens capsule, the sac tore. She wasn't able to insert the lens into the capsule as she normally does. Instead, my lens capsule created a "hammock" for my new lens. My session lasted about 20 minutes plus the 10-15 minutes of prep time.

Because of the tear, I "got" to return three hours later to have my eye rechecked. The surgeon was concerned about my eye pressure and the stability of the lens. Both were good. Trying to use my eye was another story. I was seeing double; the view was also "slanted," The effect it had on me was . . .nausea. I had no idea my eye could cause me nausea! 

Staff taped my eye closed to give it more time to "wake up." Several hours later, the double vision and odd angle views were in my past. Looking with that eye was amazing. I couldn't believe how bright the sky and grass were. I looked at our dog and was shocked at how iridescent white she was! 

The day after appointment went well. I was told the lens was perfectly centered and that my eye was "still waking up" from surgery. The pupil was still a bit dilated. 

I was scheduled to have surgery on my left eye a week later; but, I came down with COVID and have spent the last ten days laying in bed. I'm on the mend. I tested negative yesterday. Thankfully, my husband has remained COVID free. I'm glad as this is a nasty bug.

I was able to reschedule surgery on my left eye at the end of the month. I hope every aspect of the next surgery is boring! Writing about my surgery was goal number 11 on my July list.

Goal number one on my July list was to finish the June software lesson. I did complete the lesson and the challenge. I liked learning about different options to automatically digitize a drawing for embroidery. I didn't stitch the January lesson. Perhaps, I can do that next month when I'm not recovering from COVID!


6 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Terry, I had my cataract surgeries last year, so it was interesting to read about your experience. It sounds very different from mine. I was completely asleep while they did mine. I think I had to be there at 6:30 and was home by 9 am. I'm sorry you had the pain and nausea to deal with! It sounds like all is well now, except for the Covid. Just what you didn't need, right? The amazing thing is definitely the change in your vision - everything so much brighter and crisper. That will make you glad you did it!

Anonymous said...

I’m with you in regards to being nervous about cataract surgery! I have my first eye scheduled at the end of Sept. I hope your second eye goes smoothly. I can wait to see the color differences!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Anonymous. . .I'm sure your eye surgery will go well. You are going to be so shocked at the color differences!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

That was such an interesting story about your cataract surgery. I wish you the best on the 2nd one. Eye surgery is very serious as well as the recovery process. I am so sorry that you have been ill, but it is good to hear that you are feeling better. Take care, Terry. Hugs.

Rebecca Grace said...

Oh my word, that whole ordeal sounds terrifying! Needles going into your eyeball and surgery on your eyeball while fully awake?!! But I'm glad you came through it all without any major hitches and that you're seeing all of the beautiful colors of the world again!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a story, Terry! I had no idea what cataract surgery was like, but I got an inside peek at it now. Interesting how the colors have become so much brighter. Sorry to hear you had to get through c@vid then. Best wishes on your second go-around. You'll be better prepared and informed.