Sunday, July 7, 2024

Pieced Back for Transparency--post 5

 

Cutting the leftover fabrics into rectangles
Goal number 13 on my July list was to document the pieced back that I made for the Transparency quilt. First, I cut the leftover fabric into rectangles. 

Auditioning the pieces on the design wall.
I placed all of the pieces on the design wall to view all of the available scraps. Next, I began piecing the smaller pieces together. I try to put the smaller pieces toward the inside of the quilt back. 

Pieced sections hanging out on the design wall
I sewed the fabrics together with a 3/8 inch seam allowance. I pressed the seams open to reduce  the amount of bulk when quilting. After I pieced a section together, I returned it to the design wall. When the top was smaller, the lime green fabric would have been large enough for the backing. After I extended the top, I didn't have enough of the green. I did use it to sash the leftover pieced back.

Checking the back size
When I think I've a section that is about the correct length, I lay it on the top to check. Then I continue piecing sections until I have completed the back. As I piece, I also square up the sections as I stitch. In the photo above, I inserted the '"legend" which is the second pieced section.

Pieced sections 
Piecing a back, while rewarding in the number of scraps that can be inserted into a back, takes time.  I do like how a pieced back can make a quilt two sided! 

Finished back 61 inches x 67 inches
I like how this back looks. I love that the remaining scraps are small and few! I've sandwiched this back with the Transparency top and some 80/20 batting. I have an idea of how I will quilt it.

Linking to Alycia at Finished or Not) Friday; Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts; and Cynthia at Oh Scrap,

Leftover scraps: mostly strings!

7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a great backing, Terry! I love using up the scraps from a quilt top to make the back. Looking forward to seeing how you quilt your Transparency project!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

The pieced backing is lovely, and it's so satisfying to use almost all the scraps from the project! It's fun to have a reversible quilt too. Congratulations on this very pretty quilt, I can't wait to see how you will quilt it!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your pieced backing turned out fantastic, Terry! Perfect complement to that beautiful, vibrant quilt top!

Janice Smith said...

In my local guilds we call it “back art.” In this case, however, it really does make it reversible! Well done!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your pieced backing is looking amazing, Terry. Such beautiful fabrics you are working with. I have never pieced a backing before. I am going to have to try that sometime. Enjoy your week. Hugs.

Pam said...

I'm with you! I love a pieced back, but they take time!!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Great us of scraps!! It does take time, but it is well worth it on special pieces like this!!!