Sunday, March 24, 2024

Lime Sprinkle Is Finished--post 4

Back of the quilt
In my previous post, I had finished quilting this project and had blocked the quilt. I trimmed the edges and cut the strips for the facing. This time, I cut the strips two and half inches wide by the length of the sides. I pressed the strips in half and clipped them to the sides of the quilt. 

Facing clipped to quilt; ready for stitching
I cut the strips for the width one inch shorter than the width of the quilt. Again, I pressed the strips in half and clipped them to the quilt top. I stitched around the perimeter of the quilt using a quarter inch seam. I trimmed the bulk from the corners, pressed the seam to the outside of the quilt. Next I pushed the corners out and pressed the facing to the back of the quilt. I pinned the facing to the back of the quilt and hand stitched it in place.

Trimmings and thread used
Next, I created the label and the sleeve. This time, I cut my sleeve 11 inches wide instead of my usual nine inches, I constructed it a bit differently too. After I had pressed the sleeve in half, I opened it up and pressed the edges to the fold line. I hemmed the ends, turning in a quarter inch twice. So far, these are the steps I usually use. What I changed was I top stitched about an eighth of an inch from each long edge. Then, I stitched wrong sides together to complete the sleeve. It was easier to hand stitch the sleeve in place. One of our book club members shared a You Tube video tutorial that shows the steps I used. I will use this technique again!

Label
I shared photos of my finish with my instructor, Irene Roderick. She wrote back, "Thx for this email!! I needed the reminder to keep going! Great piece!" What a terrific response from an amazing artist and instructor!
Finished quilt before second blocking
I blocked it again because after I hand stitched the facing, the edges didn't lie flat. I'm pleased with the finish. I used about six yards of fabric in this project. This brings the amount of stash I have used this year to negative half a yard. Again, my goal this year is to use what I have and to not buy fabric. . .the buying part is so easy and fun though! Soon, however, I'll really be reducing my stash! 

After the second blocking

I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. Finishing this quilt was goal number one on my March list. It's my first quilt finish this year!

1 comment:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That turned out wonderfully, Terry! I really like the faced binding with a modern piece like this. Isn't it fun to see the effect it has on the look of the quilt when all the edges are finished? How neat to get a note like that from your instructor, too!