Sunday, March 3, 2019

Knit Dress for a Grand--6th Finish 1st Quarter FAL 2019

Beginning steps 
When Miss K was over to work on her mermaid project, she asked when I was going to work on her dress. . . .I decided I'd better get with the program!!! I reviewed the pattern and the pattern measurements with the measurements I had taken of Miss K. She is much taller than the pattern. Rather than cut the tissue pattern, I made a pattern that reflected Miss K's measurements.

I cut out the fabric and started stitching. The knit didn't have as much stretch as the pattern suggested; but, I proceeded. I decided to stitch the skirt and the neck band. I decided a fitting would be smart so I could see if the fabric was going to be a comfortable fit.
Miss J striking a pose

Miss J is about the same size as Miss K so when she was over for a Papa and Gran day, I asked her to be my model. She was a good sport about the request. Before she tried on the garment, we practiced walking the "cat walk." We did some poses and some turns. Playing with her was a hoot. She is a GREAT model. Best news was that the garment fit easily over her head so I could continue with the construction!

Yesterday, I pulled out the pieces and finished stitching the dress. I'm not sure when I'll be able to gift it to Miss K. For sure, I'd better get Miss J's skirt and top cut out and sewn. It would be poor form to gift one grand and not the other!!! I think I have enough fabric to make a top and a skirt out of the same print fabric.
Finished dress

This was goal number 20 on my FAL list and my sixth finish for the quarter. I used one and one half yard of fabric from my stash. My goal this year is to use 57 1/2 yards of fabric from my stash. With this project, I have now used 28 1/2 yards and have 29 yards left to stitch before I meet that goal!


6 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

She certainly is a cute little model.

I’ve adopted your strategy for recording how much fabric I’m using. BUT, I ran into a bit of a snafu when I realized that I need to use more than I purchase. Once I started recording it, things got a lot better in the financial department of the sewing room, lol.

I really must go back and look at the FAL list you made, I’m pretty sure there are some very ‘heavy time usage’ items. Like all the teaching.

The dress is adorable, as are the grands.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, I realized the first year that I stitched 50 yards from my stash, that I had replaced it with a like amount of fabric so I hadn't really made a gain of space! The second year, if I bought fabric, I added what I bought to the amount that still needed to use. I had a net loss even though I didn't meet my goal. This year, I'm almost half way to my goal and I have some big projects to finish. I'm planning one a quarter. I completed a size 90x90 inch quilt and needed to have some smaller projects to complete as my body needed a break from working on a big project. The dress is cute and I look forward to photographing a grand in it fairly soon!!!! Thanks for visiting!

Janice Smith said...

Very cute little dress and an adorable model, too!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Janice. It was a fun dress to make!

Ella said...

Love the dress! Your model was also super cute! On behalf of the FAL crew, thanks for joining in!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Ella, for your comment and for dropping by to read this post. My model was such a good sport!