Sunday, March 31, 2024

Secret Agent Mystery--post 2

Color code/key
This modern mystery quilt along began in January through Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle. Kerr and Ringle are the creatives behind Modern Quilt Studio. I was intrigued to join because transparency was the method we would explore as secret agents. The reveal happened February 16. The pattern is available for purchase. Because I was working on the Improv classes with Irene Roderick and Cindy Grisdela, I didn't get beyond making the color code/key until this week. The finished quilt is about 51 inches by 51 inches. 

Clue number 1
I did purchase the fat quarter bundle from Modern Quilt Studio to make this project. Since I purchased a small amount of fabric, I don't have room for errors! I carefully cut the fabrics for clue one and stitched the pieces following the directions.

Pocket made to collect spy clues

We also stitched a pocket to hold specific items. I put a piece of interfacing in my pocket to give it a little bit of stability. I was supposed to come up with a secret agent name. Gertie, my inner squirrel, has been uncharacteristically silent on the subject. Rosanne from my Friday Sit and Sew group suggested 00Q like 007 and sort of like my e-mail which includes two zeros!

Last Sunday afternoon, I finished stitching clue number one. Clue one had me stitch a singular block as well as a set of four blocks of another design.

Part A of clue 2
Working through clue number two took longer because there were more steps. The first instruction was to make a square in a square block. My secret agent persona got to make a choice of jumping out of an airplane or running through fire. While I don't know that I would do either in real life, I chose jumping out of an airplane. Making that choice meant choosing a specific fabric to place in the center of the blocks.

Part B of clue 2
This second instruction contained some curved piecing! That curve is fairly tight. I pinned the heck out of the curve and sewed slowly. Whew! I didn't have any tucks. I call that a win! I will share that improv curves are easier to piece!

Part C of clue 2
The third instruction had me make two more blocks. I like how the fabrics play with each other. I hadn't considered transparency as a method to drawn the viewer's eye to the project. I'm curious as to when I'll begin seeing the transparency effect.

Blocks stitched before beginning clue three
The fourth and final instruction of clue two, had me make a much larger block. Each block or sets of blocks have a code name. It's a fun way to participate in a mystery!

Small blocks sections
For the remainder of the week, I've continued stitching through the clues. There are six clues. I am currently working my way through clue five. I'm beginning to see how transparency is achieved.  

Most of clues 1-4
Making progress on this project was goal number six on my March list. I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. I always enjoy sipping a cuppa as I catch up on projects that my fellow bloggers are stitching. Happy Easter! Enjoy the day with friends and family.



1 comment:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a fun mystery project, Terry! So many interesting blocks. I like that bundle of fabric you're working with, too. I peeked at the final quilt and it's beautiful! Have a wonderful Easter!