Wednesday, March 6, 2024

2024 Temperature Quilt Block--Flying Geese


Fabrics for January first and second
Goal number eight on my March list was to piece some blocks for the 2024 Temperature quilt. This year to record the temperatures, I'm making flying geese blocks that will finish at two inches by four inches. I'm using the same fabrics in four degree increments that I've used for the last two tops that I've made.

I cut the block pieces from two and half inch strips. I used the Essential Triangle Tool from Bonnie Hunter to cut the wing part of the block and Wrights Companion Angle tool to cut the goose part of the block. There is less waste with this method and it doesn't take much to square the blocks as I finish.

Block in process--a sunny day
To denote a rainy, snowy or sunny day, I'm using the same fabrics as I did last year. I'll attach a strip that finishes to one half inch to the right of the block to denote the kind of day it was. In this session, I completed two blocks. I've a third block in process. The block stitches much faster than piecing the English Paper Piecing blocks that I did for the last two years. Perhaps by the end of May, I'll be making the blocks in real time.

Between the first two days in January, the high on the first day was the low of the second day! 

The goose is the high; the wings are the low
I plan to attach the blocks vertically with each row containing a month. At the end of the year, the project will be a lap sized. I hope it doesn't take me months to quilt it!!!  

2 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your geese are a great idea for a temperature quilt, Terry! Are you starting with January's temps? Looks like one day's high was the next day's low!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I have always admired temperature quilts. They Flying Geese will be perfect for this quilt. I can not wait to see your progress. Enjoy your day in the quilt room. Hugs.