Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Purple Selvages for Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Purple selvages
Angela at So Scrappy chose the color purple as the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for March. I've sewn with purple often so I was extra surprised as I dug through the selvages to find few options! I was concerned that I wouldn't have enough to make squares for three blocks!

Range of purples--first set of squares

I began the process. Purple can come in a huge range of colors from blue/purple to red/purple and then add grey or white to make even more colors! For the first set of squares, Gertie, my inner squirrel, challenged me to use as many different purples as possible. I really wasn't excited with the muddy purple in the middle of the square. Gertie told me to go for it. I did. She has been vacationing so when she put in an appearance, I wanted to acknowledge her thoughts.

Second set of squares
Of course, because I followed her idea, she was ready with ideas for the second set. She challenged me to incorporate a red purple selvage in the middle of the square. While I wasn't "all in" for that red purple, I again acknowledged her idea. She was surprised that she was two for two!

Third set of squares
For the third set, Gertie wanted to use selvages that were the same purple tone. I was definitely on board. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough selvages to make it work. Gertie swished her tail. She said to use some of the plain selvages. I balked because I would miss the white edge. Gertie's responses were: So what? It won't matter. Try it. 

Close up of thread options

I did try it. I liked the results. Gertie was chirping happiness. . .she was three for three with me taking her suggestions! For the non white selvages, I did stitch close to the edge with a matching thread. Making these squares was goal number four on my March list.

4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always think selvages are fun to look at! You have a lot of neat purples there, Terry. I'm glad Gertie has come back to inspire you, too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great use of those PURPLE selvages, Terry!! (Welcome home from vacation, Gertie!)

Jenny said...

Working with selvededges is always fun. Now, what are you going to do with these squares?

Gwyned Trefethen said...

It's so impressive how you are using your selvages. Combining them a few other fabrics lets both the selvages and their partners shine.