Sunday, March 17, 2024

Moving Closer to a Finish (Lime Sprinkle)--post 3

Quilting detail lower right section
This week, I finished quilting Lime Sprinkle. I thought that I would have it finished in time to post about it today; but, I didn't finish. Instead, I'm sharing photos of my quilting. 

In process quilting view top left 
First, I used a monofilament thread to stitch in the ditch to anchor all of the piecing, Because creating texture was my goal, I quilted the pieces using a combination of curved and straight lines. 

The first time I quilted an around an X shape

The lines are about a quarter inch apart. I used the same color thread as the fabric. Sometimes, I used a ruler to stitch the lines and sometimes I eyeballed the space as I stitched.

In process view quilting upper right.
Second time to quilt around the X shape.
If I was stuck with how to quilt one area, I moved to an area where I had an idea of how I wanted it to look. If I still was stuck, I considered repeating a quilting design. I used the shape below at least three times!

Quilting detail lower left of the project.
Third time to quilt an X shape.
Most of the top is quilted with straight lines going in different directions. I did a little planning to alternate horizontal vertical, and diagonal lines. The quilting felt right. It takes time to quilt the lines about a quarter inch apart! 

Quilting detail upper middle left
My friend JoJo often hand stitched small areas on her quilts to leave behind her hand in the project. I decided to include a little hand stitching in this project to leave behind the mark of my hand. I used red Aurifil 30 weight thread to stitch a simple running stitch to form an X next to the skinny lined X that I created in red fabric on the black fabric. I used the same thread and stitch to accent the tiny lime blocks in the quilt. 

Quilting detail hand stitches middle right
To view the quilting, you will have to be up close and personal.  Yesterday, I washed it to remove dog hair and the starch. Our dog is a sweetie. She is a shedder, even though I brush her every day!!! To ensure it would be dry today, I tossed it in the dryer for ten minutes. After ten minutes it was damp dry in most places. 

Detail of hand stitching around ghost block
Then, I blocked it which it needed. Before quilting it was 26 1/2 inches by 52 inches. It now measures 24 1/4 inches by 50 inches. Today, my goal is to trim the edges, machine stitch the facing to the quilt, make the label and the label. I'll be hand stitching the facing, label and sleeve into place during the week.

View after quilting
Perhaps, next Sunday, I will have a finish to post. I am pleased with both the progress and how the project look. It's been a super fun project to stitch. I definitely will be employing Irene Roderick's techniques in other projects!

View after blocking. The dark areas
indicate areas with more wetness. 
 I'm linking to Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework, Do pour yourself a cuppa and enjoy all the inspirational projects people share that they are stitching.



2 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This is such an interesting project. Look at all those amazing quilting lines. It adds so much to the finished quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love seeing your quilting, Terry! That dense quilting does create a lot of texture. I also like seeing some hand quilting mixed in on machine-quilted quilts. (Now you've got me thinking about doing that on my SAHRR project.:) I'll look forward to seeing the finish - you're almost there!