Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Temperature Quilt--border preparation

Filler blocks ready for insertion
I'm nearing the end of making blocks for the temperature quilt. I'm calling it Deux Ans (Two Years) because I needed to stitch blocks for two years to make a top wide and long enough to cover my body! I've  34 days left to record. With this project, I've managed to keep up or at least not get weeks behind with stitching a block each day.

Last month, I stitched about ten filler blocks for the outer edge. This month, I stitched more. I have 38 that are the block plus a wing. I also have stitched three wingless blocks. I may need a couple more, but, I'd rather need to make a few rather than have a few leftover!

Sample of what isn't going to work
For the side edges, my plan is to applique a piece of purple fabric so that I save all the points. My challenge came with how to handle the top and bottom edges. Because the edges aren't flush, appliquéing a fabric will leave me with a seam which I don't want. 

I've contemplated what to do with the top and bottom for some time. I decided that I would piece a purple diamond in the space. I'd trim the edge to a quarter of an inch and applique the edge to a purple piece of fabric. Last night I stitched four test diamonds. 

Today, I'll be frogging the diamonds. I can't cut the seam allowance because with the way that I've basted the edge, I can't access the seam allowance. I need to cut my papers into half diamonds. I'll do an audition this evening to see how that works.

Sigh. . . .I see lots more stitching ahead!

2 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's quite a project, Terry! You're really keeping up with it well - I'm not sure I'd be able to do that. Good luck with figuring out your border next!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Thursday, Terry. I look forward to seeing what you decide on the edging when you do start piecing all of the diamonds together. I know it will look wonderful. Hope you are having a lovely week.