Sunday, November 12, 2023

Pinning Rainbow Strings

Pinning
Yesterday, Miss K came over for the day. Her mama and her papa (my hubby) went to the Oregon State football game. Our goal was to pin baste her string quilt. She quickly picked up the process. Documenting pin basting her quilt was goal number seven on my November list. Mid-way through the pin basting, it was closing in on lunch. I invited her to go out to eat.

We generally cook together; but today, everyone in her family was having lunch out so when I suggested we go out, her face lit up like a Christmas tree. She wanted to know where we were going, I suggested getting a blizzard with lunch and she let me know that the plan on the way home with her mama was to stop for a blizzard.

Repositioning the backing
I suggested that we pick up lunch at the Mediterranean  Grill which is about 20 minutes from our home. We both ordered chicken shawarma which is a pita sandwich. We each ordered a cinnamon roll. The owner/chef is Lebanese and grew up in Kuwait.  

Closing the pins
After moving to the United States, he worked a lot of years for Dunkin' Doughnuts. There are fresh donuts every day in addition to the Mediterranean offerings. His sister waits the tables and any other jobs that need doing. The sandwiches are huge. We ate half for lunch and the half for dinner! Miss K approved the restaurant choice and wants to return another day. As we ate, we watched Miss K's favorite channel--HGTV. She likes home make over shows.

After lunch, we got out Anne the CPR mannikin. I plan to teach her and her sister CPR and first aid the next time both of the girls are  over. Miss K is slight in the frame. I had her practice five cycles of 30 compressions five times during the day. I wanted her to feel confident with her compressions. 
Writing this post with Bailey providing
snuggles

In the beginning, she wasn't able to push hard enough to make the clicking sound which signifies adequate compression depth. On her fourth cycle, she could perform great compressions. As she practiced, she thought that this practice was enough for me to "give" her a certificate. I let her know that she would come to class and do the work to "earn" her certificate.

She wanted to know how to do the breaths; but, I told her she needed to come to class to practice those! She asked me to show her how to do it, I told her she would learn it in the class. She is excited about coming to class!

Then, we returned to pin basting the quilt. We had a couple repositioning moves remaining. We used lots of pins. Miss K was amazed at how many pins it takes to pin baste a quilt. She decided that she liked closing the pins the best. She was fast at closing the pins! Once we had pinned the entire quilt, we checked to be sure we had no wrinkles in the back.  

Miss K is so looking forward to quilting her strings. She is also looking forward to using her quilt. After we finished pinning, we took another break. Bailey, our dog really needed attention, so Miss K made sure that Bailey received plenty of it! 

We enjoyed watching the Beaver game on TV. The Beavers won which was great! We also looked at my Thread Tales quilts. She helped me select a number of them to show. More on that on another day!

We had a great day together. I look forward to our next sew day! I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework.

5 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Very pretty string quilt, and such a lovely day for you and Miss K! It's so good to see quilters passing on the knowledge and love of quilting to a new generation.

Deb said...

What a great day quilting with the next generation! I hope there is another installment of quilting the string quilt!

Pam said...

It's so much fun to quilt with grands!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That sure sounds like a fun day together - lunch, quilting, and learning a new skill - all good! I would be excited to use that beautiful string quilt, too. I bet she is back over soon to work on the quilting!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a fun day together--quilting, eating out, dog petting, CPR mastering!!! Miss K's quilt is looking gorgeous!!!