Sunday, November 19, 2023

Swimsuits for Miss A

Measuring
Goal number four on my November list was to sew a couple swimsuits for Miss A. The first step was to measure Miss A so I knew what size pattern I needed to draw from the master pattern. She LOVED being measured. She stood still and patiently waited while I recorded each measurement. Later in the day, she saw the measure tape and wanted another session!

The two patterns
I drew the appropriate size suit on tissue paper. I have two patterns that I purchased when Miss A's auntie was her age. As you can see from the photo, they cost two dollars! I certainly have made money back on the pattern! 

Active pose in the first suit
I looked through my scraps of swimwear and came up with a couple options. Miss A likes animals and orange is a color she often picks first. I had saved the scraps from the suits that I made for our Greece trip last summer. The print was fish on a subtle orange background. The second scrap has been hanging around in my stash for many years. Originally, I made it into suits for Miss A's mama. How fun it was to make Miss A a suit out of those scraps! 

Relaxed pose in the first suit
Cutting out the fabrics went without issue and then it was on to stitching. I used the serger to finish the seams. I lined the front of the suit with another piece of fabric. At the rate she is eating, she will grow out of these suits in no time so I didn't bother to line the back.

Pinning. . .
Miss A visited me in the studio while I was making her suits. She was interested in the buttons on the sewing machine. She sat in my lap while we pinned and stitched the seams for her second suit. It's never too early to hope that she will love fabric and creating with fabric! 

Finished back
It wasn't long and I had two suits finished. It won't be long before we try them out in a pool!

Finished front
I used a little over a yard from my stash of swimwear scraps. This brings the total fabric used from my stash to 21 and 1/4 yards this year. Since I've sewn these two suits from scraps, I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework

8 comments:

Chantal said...

Awesome, Terry! I never sew stretchy fabric. I make it look so distorted, lol. I agree with Miss A; orange is the best colour, haha. Enjoy! ;^)

Janice Smith said...

Oh my goodness! She is as cute as a button!!! :-)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Have you had Miss A and her family here for a visit? What fun, Terry! And making swimsuits, too - those are really cute. She is adorable, and I bet she will grow out of her new suits quickly!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Too cute!!! Love that you still had the patterns from before! And you used stash!!! Bravo!!!

Bonnie said...

At $2 a pattern that was a real bargain! I'll have to check some of my old patterns from Kwik Sew to see how much they cost... The suits are very professional looking. Love the wild red one.

Preeti said...

Oh my goodness, Terry. Thank you for sharing Miss A's pictures. She is adorable and her attitude and posture is just perfect to model that swimsuit. Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving.

Nann said...

Oh, what a cutie! And good for you for hanging onto those patterns all these year. Some things never go out of style.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Little Miss A is a doll and she looks quite proud of her new swimsuit as she should be. Such pretty fabric that you used. I got tickled when you said your little one loved to get measured; my grandkiddos do too. Have a blessed day. Hugs.