Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Hexagon Ornament

The hexagons ready for piecing
Goal number five on my November list was to stitch a hexagon ornament. I cut several little kits out of the pictured fabrics last winter to make ornaments. I was teaching an EPP class, I needed some examples of projects that wouldn't take years to complete in order to learn the technique. The hexagons finish at 5/8 of an inch.

Glue basted and ready for stitching
While I've been steadily quilting my Lone Star quilt, the progress I'm making has been slow. I can envision the finish to the quilting; but, it is farther away than I would like it to be! At any rate, I didn't think that between the hand work I've been doing on my temperature quilt and the Lone Star, I'd have time to fit in this EPP ornament project.

Stitching underway
I have several of these kits and my plan was to gift them to friends in Christmas cards. I decided that I would make time on a Friday and stitch it. Fussing cutting the snowman print wasn't difficult. Glue basting the fabric so that the snowman motif lines up relatively the same on each paper foundation was "fiddly." I did manage the glue basting. As I finished basting each hexagon, I checked the placement with its neighbor. 

Front and back hexagons are stitched
When I had glue basted all the snowman fabric hexagons, I glue basted the hexagons with the green striped fabric. I began stitching. I chose a Friday because that is the day I Zoom with a group. I call it my in house retreat day. There is conversation, laughter and progress made on all kinds of projects. 

Finished back
Once I had finished stitching the front and back of the ornament, I glued a piece of ribbon to the inside of the top edge of one side of the ornament. I leave the paper templates in to provide stability. Next I placed a few drops of Elmer's school glue to the edges of the hexagon. After placing the glue dots, I place the other side next to the glued side. I waited a few minutes and then stitched the two sides together. The glue helps the edges stay aligned while I'm stitching.

Finished front
It wasn't long until I had a finished ornament! Next month, I'll stitch another. The finished ornament is about three inches square which will be a nice size on a tree. Now, it is back to more stitching on my temperature quilt and Lone Star quilt. . . little by little. . .I'm making progress!

3 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Isn't that cute?! I bet your friends who receive those ornaments are going to love them, Terry. I might need to give something like that a try!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh what a precious ornament, Terry. I loved how you fussy cut the designs. It of the hexies wreaths are so intriguing. Thank you so much for sharing how you completed it. I am with Diann- I might have to put that on my to do list. Hugs.

Preeti said...

Those are so perfectly made, Terry. When the planet is overloaded with commercial kitsch, you made something so down to earth, it breaks my heart (in a good way). Hugs to you!!!