Sunday, March 31, 2019

Scarf--Tenth Finish 1st Quarter FAL 2019

Scarf folded and ready for trimming
A number of months ago, I saved a television episode of "Fit To Stitch." The moderator, Peggy Sagers, demonstrated making a capelike scarf out of a square of fabric. The process looked interesting. I loved the way the scarf draped on the model.  I loved how little sewing was involved to achieve the effect.

 I had a gifted piece of fabric from my mother that would work so I had a "go" with the project. I first cut the fabric so it was as wide (about 60 inches) as it was long (also 60 inches.) Next I folded it in quarters and then I folded it into a triangle shape. I made my triangle smaller by folding it in half one more time.
One of two circle scarves

Folding it smaller made it easier to trim the fabric to a gentle curve at the top of the V.  Next, I opened the fabric so that it was four layers. Measuring from the fold, I made a cut that was six inches away from the fold and was six inches long. At that point, I could have called the project finished because the fabric didn't ravel.

Instead, I decided to stitch a narrow folded hem at the bottom edge as well as around the cut edges. It took some time to adjust the serger to stitch on this lightweight fabric. I found applying some tension to the back of the fabric helped it lay flatter.
Two infinity scarves

Then I tried it on. Although I could get my arms in the holes, it wasn't easy to put on. So I cut off the stitching and made the slits longer. I tried it on and although easier, it still wasn't great so I cut the slits longer yet! In the end, I lengthened them two inches.

It still was a bit fiddly to get on; but, I liked how it looked. I don't know how easily my mom could get it on though. I tried putting my head through the slits and found that could work too. It even worked to put my arms through the slits like I was putting on a t-shirt. My mom could handle that movement. I did like the drape of the scarf once it was on my body. The following day, I tried the scarf on over a thin knit top and it was easier to put on and off.
March embroidery lesson

I wore it to the guild quilt show to see how it felt. I experimented with two different methods of putting on the scarf. Both methods worked great. This would make a great item to pack for a trip because it is lightweight and it could easily dress up an outfit.

I decided to make a second scarf. I shortened the stitch length when I stitched the hem. I liked that effect better. I also decided to stitch two infinity scarves out of the remaining fabric. I've a few more gifts for giving and four yards less fabric in my stash! I have now sewn 39 yards of the 57 1/2 that were my goal to sew this year. I have 18 1/2 yards left to meet my goal. On my 1st Quarter FAL 2019 list, this scarf project was goal number 23.

I also completed the March software embroidery lesson which was lapped and overlapped designs. I have clean up work to do on the initial exercise; but, I have an idea of how to use it. The wreath was fun to create. I think it will make a great future quilt label.

This is the end of the month so I'll share that I trained five lifeguard instructors and 25 participants in basic life support CPR.

My March goals were to: finish the dog quilt, make the flannel potholders, stitch the scarf, sew K's and J's knit outfits, complete the March embroidery lesson, give a lecture to the North Star Quilt guild, brainstorm ideas about sunset, sew the green shorts, and finish the gold flower project. I completed all but the last three items. I feel good about my progress!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

You really did make great progress in March! And you are just killing your fabric goal!! Your scarves are beautiful!

Luann Fischer said...

I think that writing out goals helps us decide what is important to us. You’ve definitely gotten your fabric used goal kicked! Congratulations. Do you have your 2nd Quarter list ready to publish? Will you move the 3 that were left over to the new list, or do they get shelved until their # comes up again? Just interesting to hear how other people accomplish their goals. Have a great day.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Great questions, Luann! Yes, I will move the three remaining goals to the new list. Sometimes, I take a project off the list; but, most often I roll it into the next quarter goals. I'm working on my second quarter list. . .again, I've more than 20 projects; but, I'm excited with the progress I've made on reducing my stash yardage. Truly, without the list, I wouldn't have finished so many of these projects nor would I be this far on my yardage goal!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy! It was fun to wear that scarf. . .perhaps, Ill keep one for myself . . . .It has been more fun watching that used fabric goal number grow. . .just because that number is growing faster than it did last year. Bigger projects use more fabric!!!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This is such interesting sewing and I am in awe of the creation of such a beautiful piece that is wearable. As I love scarves and shawls, this intrigued me. Such beautiful fabric too. Kudos, Terry.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for stopping in and for commenting too! It was a fun project to create. Warning. . .you may find yourself looking for fabrics to make more of these should you try one!

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

What an intriguing idea. I've love to see it modeled on a person. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2019 global FAL hosts.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Sarah, I'm so awful at selfies although a friend did take a few photos of me wearing it. I should have had her take a few with my camera. . .ah. . .hindsight! At any rate, I'll try to make that happen. Thank you for being one of the FAL hosts. I would not have finished as much as I have without it!