Sunday, March 24, 2019

Knit Dress #2 For A Grand #2--Eighth Finish 1st Quarter FAL 2019

Miss J's pattern choice
Finishing Miss K's dress meant that I needed to get Miss J's garments stitched. Miss J picked this pattern because she liked the ruffle at the bottom of the skirt as well as the ruffle on the jacket.

I needed to cut carefully so I had enough fabric for all of the pieces. It was a tight fit; but, I was successful! Miss J is also taller than the pattern measurements so I lengthened the pattern pieces. The way this tissue pattern was printed, it was easy to make the adjustments without disturbing the sizing. Most of the time, I could fold the pattern on the line that I needed.

Finished jacket
I used a piece of green bias tape to finish the neckline of the jacket. The tape was from my grandmother's stash. She taught me to sew, so I have many memories of the two of us stitching outfits for me.

I did pick a pink ribbon that I could add to the jacket if Miss J decides that she would like the jacket to close. It took me a long time to make the simple jacket because I had a hard time understanding the directions for the neckline.
Finished skirt

The ruffle at the bottom of the skirt is a piece of tulle. I pulled out the rolled edge hem foot for my serger and hemmed the edges of the ruffle. It has been many years since I used that option on the serger. I was thankful that I had written the tension settings in my owner's manual because I didn't have to take a lot of time experimenting! I like the extra dimension the tulle ruffle added.

I used one and a half yards of fabric in this project. My goal this year is to use 57 1/2 yards of fabric from my stash. This finish means that I have used 32 yards and have 25 1/2 yards left to stitch before I meet that goal! This was goal number 21 on my 1st Quarter FAL list. It is my eighth finish this quarter.

I look forward to seeing Miss J wear this outfit.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It turned out really cute! And you sure are making good progress on meeting your fabric usage goal. You go girl!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, little by little, I'm chipping away at that fabric usage goal. It surprises me how little space 57 1/2 yards of fabric takes up. . .I write this because there is so much more fabric to use! :)

Luann Fischer said...

Terry,
I’ve used quite a bit of fabric so far this year also. And I am surprised at how little the 'dent' is! LOL. I’ve also been keeping track of additions to the collection but these are not on the same shelves, because I really want to concentrate on using up some of the more mature (aka old) fabrics for pieced backings. Newer acquisitions are more project focused, well, at least for now.
Having those grandkids close by makes it much easier to sew for them, and in your case, with them!
Enjoy the Spring unfolding around you

Luann

Julie said...

This is adorable! Congratulations on your finish on behalf of the 2019 FAL team.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for stopping by Julie. I so appreciate the FAL team. Thanks for all you do!