Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Whispering Pines

Whispering Pines photo by Josette







Quilt back
When I was going through quilts for examples to share with the North Star Quilt guild, I realized I had a lot of quilts that I either had shared in my previous blog or hadn't shared at all.

From time to time, I'll be posting about an older project. Eventually, I'll have them all documented in this blog! This is one of those posts!

For Christmas one year, my friend Martha, gifted me a "kit." It contained a pattern and fabrics that she had selected. It was a "small" project.

Martha would tell me that I could play with a lot more projects if I would make smaller ones! This gift was her way of trying to point me in her direction. I loved the pattern. The designer, Brenda Henning, came to our guild to speak and I loved her tree pattern.
Label

Money was tight, so I didn't purchase the booklet. I was tickled to receive her gift because I did want to make the trees!

 I pieced the project at a retreat. I quilted it with wind blowing through the branches as inspiration. I got a little over exuberant with my "breezy" background which meant I "got" to quilt the background of the border with a tiny stipple stitch.

Thread covers almost the entire surface of the quilt!!! The tiny quilting worked because the piece is flat!  I get to enjoy it hanging on my wall.










8 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy. I bring it out to hang every year! It is a nice remembrance of the times we stitched together.

BJ said...

Oh this is delightful! I actually enjoy tiny stippling. I use my little sports clip player to listen to music, books, or podcasts and just stipple away. Lovely work. Cheers.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

BJ, there is something meditative about doing the same little stitch over, over, over, and over again! :) Thank you for you kind comment!

Janice Smith said...

I love the choice of fabrics in this gift/project from your friend. I also like the fact that you put a label on the back of your small pieces, too. I always label my quilts, but I’m not as good about my smaller pieces. I think that I will try to be more consistant from now on . :-()

Anonymous said...


I love the haunting color of the blue border, Terry. Martha would be so happy you finished the trees and even more happy to know that you are completing so many other projects. You are off to a good start for 2019! Gail G

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Janice, my friend had a great sense of color. She would smile over your comment! As for the label, I've labeled all the quilty type projects I've stitched over the years. Sometimes, it was just the date; but, hey. . .that is good too! You can do it!!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Gail, Martha had a fondness for that blue batik and I think her choice to put that fabric in the kit just made the project. I won't story though . . . .I actually made it in 2011 and so Martha had the opportunity to see me work on it, finish it and see it hanging in my home!