Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Transparency Quilting/Another Detour/Quilt of Valor

Ditch quiting
Goal number one on my August list was to begin quilting Transparency. I sure thought that I'd begin the month with this project; but, there were other to-dos on the list that snuck in ahead of it! Let's see how far I get before the month ends!

Block for comfort quilt
I did have another detour. Friday, I received an e-mail regarding the husband of a guild member. He was diagnosed with cancer and a comfort quilt was in the making. . .would I contribute a block? Of course! Colors were chosen based on their Scottish heritage AND fabrics were to be sourced sustainably. . .which means no purchasing! All of these fabrics were scraps from previous projects so no yardage was used!

I used the templates to piece the block which came as an attachment with the e-mail. There was a paper piecing  and an appliqué option. The block finishes at 12 inches.

Adding the blue log cabins
Honestly, making progress on the Quilt of Valor was easier than I expected. I'd work on a step and then I'd move on to the next step because I wanted to see how my fabrics were going to look stitched into the next set of blocks!! 

Blue star
I finished the blue log cabins and moved on to stitching the blue stars. There were only four to stitch so these stitched quickly!

Blue stars added
As soon as I had two finished, I had to see what the stars added to the other blocks. I liked how these looked with the log cabins!
More red log cabins
It was down to a few more red log cabin blocks. I cut my fabrics and began stitching. Before long, all the blocks were stitched and added to the design wall.

Red star
Then I needed to stitch the red stars which were only two so those stitched even faster than the blue stars! I added those to the design wall and enjoyed the view.
All block complete
Next month, I'll stitch these into a top! This pattern is available for purchase on Alycia's Esty store. All the fabrics are from my stash. Mostly, I used scraps which was even better! Linking to Carol at To Do Tuesday and Alycia at Finished or Not Friday.



5 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Wow, that QOV came together quickly for you, despite your detours, and it looks fantastic!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I thought I'd be quilting one of my RSC quilts this month, too, but here we are on the 28th with no progress! Oh well, other things do tend to get in the way sometimes. That's a great heart block for a comfort quilt, and the QOV is coming together beautifully, also. I really like the combination of stars and log cabins in Alycia's design!

Vicki in MN said...

Your QOV is spectacular!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Darling block that you have contributed for the comfort quilt . And wow on your QAV! It is looking amazing! Love the design.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay for a great week! That comfort block is super neat - the colors are a great combo!! LOVE your QOV - so glad you had fun with it!!!