Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Quilt of Valor--#3

Fabrics cut for the red log cabins
Goal number four on my August list, was to begin piecing the quilt for the book, "The Women" by Kristen Hannah. I decided that I would make a quilt of valor for my project. I had a patriotic jelly roll in the stash. I had a pattern that I wanted to try. I carefully set the jelly roll aside. Unfortunately, I have no clue as to where I put it so it was on to another plan.

Note: I've been slowly cleaning the studio space and the jelly roll has yet to surface!:

Clue one in place on the design wall
This is Alycia's Spaghetti Like Stars mystery pattern that she shared as a quilt along last winter. You can find Alycia at Alycia Quilts. Her pattern is no longer available.

I began with cutting strips that were in my stash to make the blocks for clue number
one. I didn't try to group the fabrics. Instead, I opted to cut the most pieces from a strip that I could!

Blue log cabin block fabrics cut
Once I had the pieces cut, I arranged them so I could chain sew the pieces together. I've been working a lot of hours this past week so my stitching time has been limited. If I had a few minutes, I'd stitch a seam or two. Over the course of the week, I finished clue 1!

I arranged the blocks on the design wall. I liked what I saw. I'm always impressed with how a variety of scraps make such interesting quilts!

Instead of piecing clue number two next, I started cutting the fabrics for clue number three. I decided that I'd rather piece more log cabins than work on the star blocks.

While I haven't cut quite all the pieces that are needed for this step, I've cut enough to stitch a few blocks together to see how the blue blocks relate to the red blocks! I took advantage of a making a part of a Zoom sew day with my Mavens group on Monday to select leftover strips from Indigo Way that work for this project.

First sections ready to stitch
My friend, Rosanne, gave me some of her patriotic fabrics. I need to prewash it which may happen tomorrow. In the meantime, if I have a few minutes, I will stitch a few seams of the blue blocks. 

I plan to use some of Rosanne's gifted star prints in the star blocks. Rosanne also gifted me a panel so I've the start of at least two more Quilt of Valor projects! I do plan to make them and gift them. For now, I'm going to concentrate of finishing Indigo Way and finishing this top!

Linking to Carol at To Do Tuesday and Alycia at Finished or Not Friday.




7 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Great start on your quilt. The log cabin blocks look fabulous and such sweet blues for the star blocks. I bet the jelly roll that is "in hiding" will magically appear when you least expect it. LOL. That is what always happens to me. Have a Wonderful Wednesday, sweet friend. Hugs.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Great start, Terry! I love those uneven log cabin blocks!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I kind of remember that design of Alycia's and think it's a good one! Looks you're off to a good start, aside from losing the jelly roll. I'll look forward to seeing how your quilt progresses!

Anonymous said...

The jelly roll will show up after you finish the quilt top…. Great start on this quilt! Scrappy quilts are fun to make and interesting to look at when they are done. Gail at the cozy quilter

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Super start to a super QOV! Looking forward to watching your progress.

Rebecca Grace said...

You are so well organized, I'm sure that patriotic jelly roll will surface soon. Hopefully, BEFORE you finish this quilt! It's going to be gorgeous!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhh Its looking SO good!!! what great fabrics !! Can't wait to see your progress!!
Just an FYI - the pattern is no longer free, but it is at my etsy site ;-)