Sunday, August 11, 2024

Piecing the Back for Temperature Quilt 2022-2023

Building the legend
After I had pressed the top of my English Paper Pieced temperature quilt, I was ready to piece the back. All along, my plan was to use the colorful batik that I had used to frame the outer edge. I thought I'd have at least enough to cover half of the back. I was incorrect! Then I remembered that I had decided to stitch blocks for two years so I used more of that colorful batik than I had planned when I purchased it!

Auditioning the fabrics for placement
Not only was the colorful batik short; but I also remembered I had planned to piece a legend to place in the back. Suddenly a quick pieced back turned into a project! First, I pulled other batik fabrics from my stash. I had a wonderful red fabric with a beautiful gold border. I decided that I would use the border as my sleeve. I cut and made the sleeve. I had a small chunk of the border left.

Adding filler strips of the pumpkin batik
Next, I gathered four batik fat quarters that have lived years in my stash that sort of went with the colorful batik. I was getting closer to enough fabric; but, I was still short! Back to my stash, I went. I searched. I came up with a bit of golden pumpkin yardage that I thought would work.

Finished back
I began squaring the fat quarters and stitching them together. Then I stitched the legend together. I decided that I would hand embroider the numbers using two strands of black embroidery thread and incorporating the backstitch. This took some time; but the results were good. I added some purple to make the strip longer. Also, the binding will be purple so I needed a little purple somewhere in this back! (At least, that was what Gertie, my inner squirrel, was telling me!)

Then, I sewed the smaller pieces to larger pieces. I needed to add a strip to the fat quarters and I needed to add a strip between the colorful batik and the red batik. I still didn't quite have enough width so I cut the leftover sleeve fabric in half and used a trimmed strip from one of fat quarters to make the chunk long enough. I stitched those pieces together. I used the pumpkin batik yardage as filler chunks more than I thought that I would. In the end, it worked!  

This is the top
Next month, I'll plan to layer and pin baste this project! Documenting this process was goal number eight on my August list. Linking to Alycia at Finished or Not Friday; Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilting and Cynthia at Oh Scrap!

8 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sometimes, piecing a quilt back makes you feel like you’ve made another quilt! It is a great way to use up stash fabric. I like your embroidered legend for the colours representing each temperature. Can’t wait to see how you quilt this one. Gail at the cozy quilter

Chrisknits said...

Wow, what an awesome quilt that will be!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a great quilt back, Terry! They can definitely become quite a project. Such a great idea to add the legend to the back, too. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I thought the back was looking pretty amazing. Then I saw your finished top! Terry, it's amazing!!!

Linda said...

Goodness you are a pro at auditioning and finding the right fabric!! How did you make your fabric swatch? It's neat!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love the top of your temperature quilt, and the back too! Well done with this creative and pretty backing! Thank you for sharing your process.

Vicki in MN said...

Oh my you have put a lot of work into this quilt with the front and now the back, nice work!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Wow your backing looks amazing, Terry. I love that you included a legend to your temperature quilt.