Sunday, August 18, 2024

Detour

The palette
When I checked my phone for messages after work on Friday, I learned one of the gals I've sewn with for years shared she was diagnosed with lung cancer. I was so sad. She is a vibrant woman who has followed her extended family through all their activities. She is one with it lady. 

Laying out the pieces
Another quilter organized a block drive. Of course, I joined in and contributed two blocks to the drive. My neighbor finished her blocks. She took them to the organizer yesterday. She consented to take my blocks with her which saved me a delivery trip. We hope that the finished quilt will bring comfort to our friend.

Oops too small
When I read through the directions, I noted that the size of the corner squares didn't match up to the size of the HSTs so I sized the pieces to the corner squares. My block came out too small. I went back to the e-mail because I figured I had read something in error. There was another e-mail which contained the corrections to the first e-mail.

Remade blocks are on the bottom
The corner squares should have measured to 3 1/2 rather than 2 1/2. I recut the fabric and started over. I do think the smaller blocks are great! I added them to my orphan pile. I was bummed because I had a 2 1/2 inch strip of fabric that had words that said you are loved just the way you are. I didn't have it in a 3 1/2 inch strip so I used a white on white fabric for the background instead.

The final layout
Gertie, would like me to keep making these blocks; but, I told her that we needed to get back to the "list." She immediately had me pull some fabric for the quilt I'm making which will be inspired by the book,  "The Women." Let's see what progress happens on that project.

Linking to Alycia at Finished or Not Friday, Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilting and Cynthia at Oh Scrap.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ve done the same thing. 🤦🏻‍♀️
You friend will feel the love of her friends when using her quilt. Gail at the cozy quilter

Chantal said...

So sorry to hear that. I would have sent the little block any way and ask that it was used (somehow) on the back just because of the wording. That is so beautiful. Take care. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That quilt is going to be a beauty, Terry! I know it will bring lots of comfort to your friend. You could take the too small block and make a mug rug for her - then she would still get that positive message!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your blocks, it's going to be a lovely quilt for your friend. Beautiful text fabric too, I like Chantal idea, adding it on the back or for the label? Diann has another great idea too, a mug rug - or a pillow? - woud be a loving gift.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Prayers to your dear friend. Your friend will be wrapped in love when she receives the quilt that you and your friends have worked on for her. The blocks are darling.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Haha! I agree with Gertie--the little blocks are cute as the dickens and would make a great quilt!!!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Best wishes and prayers for your friend.

Rebecca Grace said...

My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV inoperable lung cancer 3 1/2 years ago and we thought it was the end of the world, but it's amazing how far medicine has come these days. They have her on a drug that targets just the cancer, not the kind of chemo that attacks the whole body, and she is still living a full life and able to do everything that she wants. You'd never know she was "sick" if she didn't tell you -- very grateful for that. I hope your friend's lung cancer is something that can be treated similarly. And I'm sure she will appreciate and feel the love that is going into the quilt you all are making for her!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I am so sorry to hear that. but how sweet to make her a quilt ;-)