Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Orange Selvage Squares for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Orange selvages
Goal number five on my August list was to make the squares in the color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this month. Angela chose orange, so I pulled out my orange selvages. I didn't have as many as I thought that I did! I contemplated putting out an S.O.S. to you; but, in the end, I was able to construct four sets of four squares. I did use the unprinted selvage edge to be able to create enough fabric for the squares.

More selvages--note the unprinted selvage
A question from Anne Marie of the blog, Stories from the Sewing Room, was how wide I cut the selvages.  I cut at least a half inch into the fabric and as wide as an inch. Some selvages, which were given to me, were cut with a quarter of an inch into the fabric. These selvages ,when put into a project, won't show the print of the fabric. There are some projects where none of the print shows so it isn't "wrong" to cut solvates where none of the print shows. You can see in the photos of the selvages, how the printed space of the selvages differs. Some selvages sport a narrow band, while other selvages sport a wide band. Thanks, Anne Marie for the question!

Orientation of the squares
Melisa of Pinker N Punkin Quilting and Stitching and Jane from Australia asked why I glue the selvages. I use glue to tame the selvage edge from crawling. I'm not using a stabilizer for this project which would help the edge from slipping. A leave in stabilizer would add bulk to the project which I didn't want. I could have used newsprint and then removed the paper; but, I didn't want to go to that trouble either! Also, there have been a few instances where I didn't like the arrangement. It was easy to gently lift the edge of the selvage to remove it, re-glue and place it in a different arrangement! I use tiny drops of Elmer's School Glue. This is a washable glue and it works great!

For set of orange selvage squares
Next year, I plan to figure out a background fabric and sew the squares into blocks. I'll have four blocks of each color. Linking to Angela at So Scrappy.




3 comments:

Chantal said...

Thanks for answering the questions in your blog's post. Now I know a new technique. I never glued fabric so I'm learning here reading your post. Beautiful orange selvage. I try to cut them at least half an inch too. Enjoy! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You found some great selvages for your orange blocks, Terry! I'm still trying to figure out what the one selvage in the 3rd photo has on it - women with beehive hairdos?! I love looking at selvages - glad you found enough for the blocks you want to make.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your orange selvage blocks look fabulous, Terry. Thank you so much for answering all of the questions. I learned a lot. I am still saving my selvages for future blocks. I do believe I need to cut into my fabric a little more though so I can get the colors like you do. I can not wait to see how you set them next year. Have a great day and Happy quilting. Hugs.