Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Waiting. . .A Knee Update

It's been about a week and a half since I tore that quadriceps muscle. My knee continues to improve in spite of the muscle rehab process. I am better. Today, we took our daughter out to a birthday lunch. This was the first time that I sat at a table for more than about 15 minutes. At the end of lunch, I was shocked at how weak that leg felt. Also, I was exhausted and took a two hour nap! 

I haven't been able to work on my embroidery software classes because my knee hasn't been comfortable working with the laptop on my lap. Maybe in a couple of weeks, I'll be able to work at a table for short time periods. I plan to start trying ten minute intervals tomorrow.

At PT today, I'm told the muscle is healing and that I'm making progress. I have less knee swelling and am taking an ibuprofen every four to six hours for swelling and pain. I don't have much pain. The pain comes from needing to move or from ROM exercises or from moving for too long a time. Tomorrow. I return the ice machine. It has been so useful. I'm glad I was able to rent it.

Not being able to sit also has affected my ability to work on quilting projects. I need to place the border on the other side of my temperature quilt. Maybe, I'll be able to get it in place sometime this month. As for sewing. . .who knows. 

I'm still not able to drive. I thought for sure I'd be driving by this time. PT tells me that in two weeks, I'll see and feel improvement. My fingers are crossed and of course, I'll continue putting in the work with the exercises!


4 comments:

dgs said...

Oh Terry, I'm so sorry about your knee. But I'm glad you are in PT and progressing. It does take awhile to let that type of injury heal, so don't beat yourself up, or push yourself beyond what your PT recommends. On the other hand if your PT offers water based PT please give it a try. I have found it to be so much better and helped to reduce the amount of pain felt during the day. It was simply soothing, easy and fun to do PT exercises in the water I really looked forward to iT VS land based therapy. BTW I fell last week and broke several bones in my foot. I'm lucky as I'm not in serious pain, but I do go in tomorrow for surgery to put one of the bones in a plate/screw to help it heal faster. No PT for this injury, but I do need to wear a soft cast and stay off of it, while the bones heal. My scenario is so much easier than yours. Big hug. Great time to watch you tube creative video on your tv.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Good to hear an update from you, Terry! So glad you're getting better, but I know you're hoping it will feel even better soon. I can remember a few years ago when I had a knee that was bothering me, if I sat in a hard chair for an hour (like a restaurant or coffee shop), my leg would be really unhappy with me when I tried to stand up again. Take care - you're getting there!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I am so glad that you are doing better, Terry and especially that you are not in pain. Hopefully by the end of the month you will be able to withstand sitting longer. Just listen to your body and if you need rest then indeed take it. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your knee is improving though I understand how you would like it to be faster. You are adjusting well to the changes needed to accommodate your situation. There will be physically better days ahead which will make this all worthwhile.