Sunday, May 19, 2024

Judge's Comments

Goal number eight on my May list was to share the judge's comments on my three guild show entries. Quilters of all levels should share their work. It makes me sad when I hear people say that "I'm not good enough to enter."  My favorite shows to attend are those which exhibit a variety of quilting levels. I come away more inspired from viewing those quilts! There wouldn't have been much of a show if only the extra spectacular quilts were entered. 

Quilting detail of Lone Star Modern Contemporay

Many people don't realize that when their quilt is judged, the judge has two to three minutes maximum to look at the quilt and make comments. If they don't adhere to the time standard, they won't be finished in time for the show to open to the public! I also appreciate receiving feedback regarding my entries. Often, I have an idea what the comments will be although I'm harder on myself than the judge has been!

In this post, I'm sharing the quilt and the comments. A heart felt thank you to Nancy T for being the drop off depot to get my quilts into the show and for delivering my quilts to my home after the show. I had knee surgery the day we were to drop off our quilts. I also appreciated Nancy for photographing my entries as well as many other entries so I could "see" some of the show even though I couldn't attend in person.

Lone Star Modern Contemporary
Lone Star Modern Contemporary:

Judge's Comments: Color and value are well chosen for the classic design. Very good visual movement created through placement of value. Quilting motifs are well designed to fill background areas and utilize negative space well. Upper and lower pieced borders effectively frame the center motif.

I struggle with color and value. I smiled when I read I did well with my choices for this design. I also struggled with quilting motifs so to read my free form filler stitches were well designed and used the negative space well made me smile again!

Seeing the quilt hang in the photo was the first time I had seen it from that perspective. I like it even more than I did when I finished it!

Lime Sprinkle
Lime Sprinkle:

Judge's Comments: Outstanding design is enhanced by the choice of the color palette. Small additions of gold and green elements provide very good visual interest. Directional changes in quilting lines are very effective. (Second place.)

For my first foray into Improv style quilting, I loved reading "outstanding design is enhanced by the choice of the color palette." I also appreciated the "directional changes in quilting lines are very effective." Quilting this piece in a "modern way" was a challenge for me!

I shared the comments and the second place with Irene Roderick. I began this project in her class via Zoom in January. Irene replied, "Congratulations! Thx for letting me know. . .makes me so proud!"

Nuggets
Nuggets:

Judge's Comments: Effective subtle value change in background. Excellent movement created through placement and size of triangles. The gold fabrics seem to glow against the background. Excellent faced edge. (Honorable Mention)

I'm glad the judge could embrace the subtle value change in the background. I wanted to create a feeling of movement and "glow" of the gold fabrics and the judge saw it! I also sweated over that faced edge!

Linking to Cynthia and Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework!

5 comments:

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, congrats, Terry!!! Your quilting on your Lone Star is very impressive!!! I love how your improv piece turned out!!! And great job on creating a glow on your final piece!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your Lone Star quilt, Terry! The bright orange and yellow against the blue background is such a great combination. Congratulations on the great notes from the judges, too!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Congratulations for these fabulous comments from judges! Your work is truly beautiful!

Vicki in MN said...

Those are spectacular quilts. Really love how your lone star shines so bright. Congrats on your ribbons.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Terry, your quilts are spectacular and those were such nice compliments from the judges. Beautiful job on all and congratulations . Hugs.