Sunday, May 12, 2024

January 2024 Temperatures Blocks Complete

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms. . .I include moms of fur babies too! Yesterday was my husband's mom's 90th birthday. He made the two and half hour drive to Eugene which is south of us and had breakfast with her. I'll be calling my mom today to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. She lives about a two and half hour drive east of us. My knee isn't ready for a long drive yet.

Making progress on January days
Goal number five on my May list was to piece the days of January for the 2024 Temperature quilt. The wings signify the low temperature of the day and the goose signifies the hight temperature of the day. I use the weather underground history website to retrieve the temperature data.

Small dots = rain; larger dots = sun
Planning a bit, I found stitching the flying geese blocks leader/ender style worked efficintly. In the beginning, lining up the intersections was bothersome. I restitched the intersections often until I began adding a few drops of glue to the seam allowance in that area. The glue worked so much better than either "feeling" or pinning the intersections. The intersections look great!

January blocks
In a few days, I'll be six weeks post surgery for knee joint replacement. I'm still working on the knee rehab. I'm making progress in tiny increments. I welcome any progress! This is a project that doesn't irritate my knee because I can limit how much I sit. I sit to stitch a seam. I stand to press it and I stand to cut fabrics for the next block. I repeat the process. I was able to create blocks for an hour before I needed to take a break. The better news is that I could complete several sessions before I was too tired.
January and February blocks
In fact, I the process worked so well with the January blocks that I completed the February blocks too! While I've oriented these rows horizontally for this post, I do plan a vertical orientation of the blocks in the quilt. It has felt so good to spend some time in the studio! 

I've some other projects to make progress on this month; but, I look forward to making even more progress next month. I am liking the results. Mother Nature is a good colorist. The pink/purple/dark blue fabrics signify cold weather. There were a few days where the high and the low used the same fabric.I do need to determine what the filler blocks for months with less than 30 days will be. I can make that decision later. I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. 


4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy Mother's Day, Terry! Your temperature geese look great! I think it's easy to tell what months they represent. I'm so glad you were able to sew this week!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Mother's Day, Terry. I hope you had a lovely day. Your temperature flying geese are looking great. This is going to be a fun one to watch grow. Have a lovely week. Hugs.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Those colours are gorgeous together and what an interesting piece this will be, Terry. Also glad you are stitching again.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Great progress on your temp quilt! It's looking very interesting! Happy Mother's Day to you, your DH's Mom and your Mom!!!