Sunday, October 29, 2023

Quilting the Outer Edge of the Lone Star (post nine)

Beginning quilting lines in the geese
After I finished writing the Wednesday post regarding being stuck again on what to quilt in the space, I had an idea. I wanted the quilting from the outer edge of the Lone Star to extend into the goose top and bottom borders. I wanted a simple pattern that provided texture. I was stymied for so long.

I quilted the some of the lines in the skinny border. As for what to quilt in the background, quilting the striped border gave me the plan for what to do in the outer edge . . .more lines.

I'm stitching quarter inch lines that run vertically using a 50 weight Gutermann cotton/polyester thread that perfectly matches the background fabric. I'm using Sue Nickles' ruler which is comfortable in my hand. The quilting provides the texture that I had envisioned. 

Geese and bottom border quilted
It will take some time to fill in the space, It's taken me about two weeks to complete the top and bottom sections. I am on a roll. Now I actually have the evidence of what is filling that space after all! I truly have met goal number three on my October list.

As I quilted line after line, two thoughts came to my mind. First, I needed to extend the stripe border to edge of the quilt. I looked for scraps. I had one short piece which was long enough for one side. 

Where was the remaining fabric? I had used it to piece the quilt back! There was enough, if I  trimmed that edge of the quilt. I could applique the strips in place.This will be my goal to complete next week. 


View of one quilted corner

Second, those geese are a little too "puffy." They need a little more quilting. I plan to add a circle to the center of each goose. Perhaps, I can complete that next week as well. 

Puffy geese. . .will add a circle

Time will tell. Life is good. Linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework.

4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Terry, that skinny quilting on the geese border is amazing! I love the look of it and how it emphasizes the geese. Also how it runs to the center in different lengths. Beautiful!

karenbbsnow said...

Awesome quilting. It's tough deciding on quilting plans. You are a rockstar doing those skinny lines!!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oooh your quilting is so pretty, Terry and I just adore the fabrics in this quilt. Wishing you a very lovely and productive week. Happy November.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Beautiful photo of you with your Temperature quilt, Terry.
And also beautiful is this quilting. I'd forgotten about the skinny quilting lines. I had fun doing what was called Matchstitch lines years ago on a table mat. Thanks for the reminder cause I could do that again on a project I'm trying to decide how to quilt.