Wednesday, October 11, 2023

"As Noted" Contest Block

The parts cut and ready for stitching
This year, I joined with four other ladies from the Clark County Quilt Guild to come up with the parameters of the annual block contest. It's been a fun experience. I've enjoyed working in a group setting.

We discussed themes, colors and block size. We contemplated what style we hope to use to turn the blocks we receive into a quilt. People will be able to purchase tickets or chances to win it. The ticket proceeds will support a charitable organization that our members will choose.

We named the contest, "As Noted." We hope that words, music, notes, instruments will come to mind for the block makers.The basic rules are to use a cream background. Use a true black for words and notes and another colors you would like. Block finished sizes that will be accepted are 6 x 9; 9 x 9 and 6 x 12 inches.

It's helpful to have a few blocks as "seed stock" for members to see while they think of what block that they will make. Over the weekend, I made a simple block. I'm noodling another block that contains words and some color.

Members can make multiple blocks and the blocks are due early enough so that the blocks can be hung at the guild quilt show in April. The show attendees vote on their favorite block. The top three winning blocks receive a ribbon and a small monetary prize. I hope we receive a lot of blocks!

This block was free from Kelli Fanning Quilt Designs. Hers finished to eight inches. I added a little sashing so my block will finish to nine inches. I used a cream grunge and I like the texture of the background against the black of the note.

While I did purchase the background, the note fabric was a scrap of "Black Magic" which is my favorite black fabric. It didn't take long to make the block. It's in the mail to the leader of our group to share at the upcoming guild meetings.

Goal number seven on my October list was to make a block for the challenge. I've completed that goal! Wahoo!

1 comment:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a sweet block, Terry! I'm always a fan of Grunge as a background fabric. I hope you get lots of great blocks for your raffle quilt!