Sunday, March 1, 2020

Swimsuits--Second Finish for the 1st Quarter 2020

The project
As I've written before, when I teach lessons; the uniform is a black swimsuit. I try to keep a spare suit on hand because the pool chemicals breakdown lycra suits within a few weeks. The polyester fabric I tried also broke down in about the same time frame. I like the way lycra suits feel so I will keep making lycra suits!

I could purchase a suit. However, I like full bottom coverage and I like full cleave coverage which I can achieve when sewing my suits! Cost is also a factor. A suit can cost between $50 and $180. I can make one in about three hours and less than $30 in materials. A benefit is that I used a fabric that I like!

I've been sewing my suits for almost 40 years. Last year, I was gifted two moving boxes of lycra fabric so I will have workout and "Sunday" suits for the rest of my life! About 20 years ago, I updated my "personal" swimsuit patterns. I have a number of swimsuit patterns from Kwik Sew and Stretch and Sew; but, two patterns in particular are my mainstays.

During the last 20 years, my weight has fluctuated. I've gained and I've lost weight. In 2009, I weighed 20 pounds more than I do now. I will gain five to ten pounds and then I'll lose most of it. Weight has always been a battle. I am challenged the most when my body hurts too much to exercise which happens more often these days. I also have never been one to follow the mantra "eat to live." I've always been one to "live to eat!" The combination of lack of exercise and the "live to eat" mantra contribute to weight gain. My goal for at least the last three years is to lose an additional 15-20 pounds. I continue to work on it! Back to the swimsuits, I've used the same personal pattern to make each one.

Two teaching swimsuits ready for duty
Before Christmas, my husband asked me for my measurements. I think he was surprised that I couldn't just rattle them off when he asked. The truth was that I haven't sewn more than swimsuits for myself in about 20 years. Sewing clothing lost its  allure for me when it was so much cheaper and faster to purchase what I needed. The fit wasn't as good and the detail wasn't as good; but, the clothes were good enough. Additionally, purchasing clothing meant that I had more time to quilt! I've purchased the same size clothing for years.

I took my measurements. I was so surprised with the numbers. In spite of weighing more than 20 pounds less than I did ten years ago, my measurements had increased substantially since I had drawn my personal pattern! How does this happen? I remember my mom lamenting this fact too! Before I cut out my next two suits, I drew off a pattern that fit my more "mature" measurements.

Last month, I stitched the two suits. I wore one of them for lessons and it felt great. I'm glad I upgraded my pattern! I will have to purchase more black fabric for future suits; but, not anytime soon. I'll do some shopping and watch for a sale.

I line my suits so I used four yards of fabric to complete this project. It is goal number 19 on my first quarter list. I have now used six and a half yards of fabric from my stash this year. I have linked this finish to #2020faq1finish on Instagram.


2 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

I’ve given up being in a pool or a hot tub because I can’t find a suit that fits,,,, and I hate shopping for one. My hat is off to you for continuing to make all of yours. That ‘mature body’ thing, I hate it! LOL

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Don't give up, Luann. . .Hot tubs can feel good on a body and there is nothing like feeling weightless in the pool! Don't miss out on the sensations! Consider purchasing a workout top and a pair of workout shorts. . .the lycra kind. . .that stretch will cover lots of body! Making a swimsuit isn't that hard either. . .As for the "mature body," I hate it too!