Sunday, March 22, 2020

A Red Shirt for Miss K--Third Finish 1st Quarter 2020

Pieces ready to cut
Joie is having her spa treatment with Aaron. I suspended work on the leaves quilt. AlthoughI've lots of projects hanging about in my studio, I haven't finished many projects on m list this quarter. While Joie is away, I decided I would picked one that I could stitch in a day.

The fabric originally came from my friend Martha's stash.  I've had her fabric in my stash for a couple years. Martha loved soft fabrics. She probably made a robe out of this red stretch velour. I was able to cut out a long sleeved top for Miss K. Since I last took Miss K's measurements, she's grown several inches! Because Miss K is taller, I needed to draft a longer pattern. I picked the pattern paper off of the guild free table. It was designed to be used as a quilting foundation; but, it is of better use to me as pattern paper!
Vintage caterpillar applique

I pressed my first Bernina, Bernie, a 1630 into stitching. Bernie has been around since 1996. I'm considering leaving her in one side of the sewing table so that I can stitch small projects while I'm quilting a project on Joie.

When it came time to choose ribbing to finish the sleeves, hemline and neckline, I selected a bag from the closet that I've had for longer than I've had Bernie! Inside, was a piece of ribbing that exactly matched the shirt fabric. When this happens, I say that I witnessed serendipity at its best!

When I was finished, I thought that the top needed a little "something." I pulled out one of my drawers and searched for some purchased appliqués that my mom had purchased when my brother was a baby. He is 53 years old so those appliqués have been around a long time!

Finished top
There was a caterpillar that looked nice on the edge of the pocket. I hand stitched it in place. I think Miss K will appreciate the accent. The price on the appliqué was 75 cents!

When our daughters were my granddaughters' ages, I sewed a lot of their clothing. The Stretch & Sew pattern was one I purchased for my daughters. I hope Miss K will like wearing this "vintage" top. She often wears leggings which would pair well with the shirt.

This was goal number 10 on my first quarter list. I used 1 1/4 yards of fabric which brings my total this year to 7 3/4 yards used from my stash. It is my third finish for the quarter. I have linked this finish to #2020faq1finish on Instagram. Now to make a shirt for my other granddaughter!!!

As for the impact Covid 19 is having on our community, we are following the social distancing protocols. As of yesterday morning, in Oregon 2,912 people have been tested. 2,333 people tested negative. 137 people tested positive. 437 people are waiting for the results. Four people have died.

Many of the local quilt shops as well as other stores are closed to shoppers; but, businesses are offering shipping or curbside pick up. Churches are closed and those facilities that have the technology are offering internet services.

Missing a front tooth
Grocery stores still have limited supplies of some products available. My husband says it is strange to see totally empty shelves! My chiropractor closed her practice for at least the next two weeks. Our dentist closed his practice as well. Across the state, other practitioners have done the same. Only emergency surgeries are done at the hospitals as staff are gearing up for an influx of virus infected patients. Staff are also working to procure more hospital beds, ventilators and supplies like gowns, masks and gloves. It is estimated that a minimum of 1,000 additional beds are needed.

Spring vacation is next week. While I miss spending time together, I'm fortunate to stay in touch with FaceTime and texting! Miss J lost a front tooth. She had her mom send me a photo. I asked her if food fell out through the hole and she said, "Good question, I'll have to try some foods and get back to you!"

My daughter, Amanda, has been "filling in the gaps" with her kids. She leads school time about four hours each morning. The granddaughters are fortunate that their mama is so well prepared to help them continue learning. (She is a special education teacher.) There are so many parents who do not have access to resources and/or they do not have the skills to teach.

Miss K perusing the Christian Dior gown book
Last Friday, Amanda said that the district e-mailed the teachers that they will be working beginning March 30. My son-in-law, who works for the county, has also been told that work will resume March 30. Neither of them know what work will look like. Likely, they will telecommute. How will they balance work and school for the kids? There are lots of questions and few answers; but, I have no doubt that they will figure it out.

As for Spring vacation, I saw on the news last night that there were many people at the coast. There were so many people that no way could they be following the six foot social distancing. While I was sad to see that people were not following "the stay in and away from people as much as you can" directive from the governor, I was not shocked at the story. People think that they won't catch the virus. These could be the people who end up in the health care system being triaged as to whether there are enough resources to keep them alive.

In London, Nicole said that the death toll is beginning to steadily rise and that a number of her work groups have had a loved one contract the virus and have died. It is humbling. A friend sent me a bit of advice regarding the virus. It was,
"Your grandparents were called to fight in world wars. You are being called to wash your hands and sit on the couch. Don't %@#* it up!!!"

I'm washing my hands. Instead of sitting on the couch, I'll be creating in the studio.

Stay safe out there!

No comments: