Sunday, March 22, 2020

A Blue Shirt for Miss J--Fourth Finish for 1st Quarter 2020

Ready to cut the 
After finishing the shirt for Miss K, I started work on a shirt for Miss J. When I was kid, one set of my grandparents had a favorite grandchild. I was not the favorite. Not being the favorite was a good experience for me because I learned what it felt like to be overlooked.

Both of my grandkids are my favorites. I make sure that if I give one granddaughter a gift, I ensure that the other granddaughter receives an equal gift. Both my daughters are my favorites. I love it when I'm with one and she will start a sentence with, "Since I'm your favorite daughter, . . . ."  It makes me smile EVERY time.

I made a new pattern for Miss J because she too has grown a couple inches taller since I last measured her! She likes the color blue so this velour fabric seemed destined for her. It is also a piece of fabric that was my friend Martha's. Martha would be tickled to know that my granddaughters will be wearing her fabric! She loved kids.
Dog applique

Ribbing also finishes the neckline of the raglan sleeve shirt as it did with the red shirt I made for Miss K. Luckily, my bag of ribbing had a piece that was the perfect color. Wow! That bag has been magical!

After I cut out this shirt, I did a layout with the pattern pieces on the remaining fabric. I think there is enough left for a second shirt! Hm m m m. . .let's see how this shirt and the red fits the girls before I decide what to do with the remaining fabric.

The pattern calls for 1/4 inch seam allowances which I stitched on Bernie. Then, I serged all the seams. Serging finishes the seams and that second line of stitching makes the garment more durable.

When I had finished the garment, I looked through those "vintage" appliqués because this t-shirt needed something to make it "special." There was a dog! Miss J loves animals so I stitched that appliqué to the neckline. The price on this applique was 70 cents!
Finished shirt

That dog looked great on the t-shirt. Miss J also looks awesome when she wears leggings. This shirt would be a good paired with leggings.

I have had this fabric for a couple years. It took me a few hours in an afternoon to complete this shirt. I don't know why I put off stitching these small projects! I am glad to have finished this one!

This was goal number 12 on my first quarter list. I used 1 yard of fabric which brings my total so far this year to 8 3/4 yards used from my stash. It is my fourth finish for the quarter. I have linked this finish to #2020faq1finish on Instagram.

2 comments:

BJ said...

I love this beautiful shirt! I agree one cannot play favorites with one's kids and grandkids, except I can, because i only have one grandkid...hahaha.

Hoping you are doing ok during the great quarantine! Hugs.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

BJ, All kids and grandkids are extra special! It is our job to spoil them!