Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Judges' Comments From QuiltFest Northwest Show

Ole Truck
March 28-30 was QuiltFest Northwest--the Clark County Quilters quilt show. I entered four pieces into the show. I also put together a memorial of a few quilts that my friend Martha had created. I really liked the layout of the show this year because it was possible to see quilts from a distance as well as up close and personal!

The judge's feedback for "Ole Truck" was:
Wonderful job of depicting the patina of this ole truck Even the surface design of the clouds have an aged look. Micro-stippling on the truck add to the rusty feel. Mitered borders do a good job of framing the quilt. Facing is very well done.

It was awarded a Judge's Choice ribbon which was cool to receive. You can read more about this project here.

Aurora Borealis
The judge's feedback for "Aurora Borealis" was:
Good use of color and value to depict the Borealis. Hand-stitching and embellishments are appropriate and well applied. Quilting motif adds to the theme of the quilt. Binding corners are nicely mitered.

This entry was part of the "Thread Tales" exhibit and the members voted to not have ribbons awarded. You can read more about this project here.

Gladys








The judge's feedback for "Gladys" was:
Very interesting and innovative mosaic technique creates a charming quilt. Piecing and construction is well done. Quilting motif is fitting for the quilts. Binding edges should be straight. You can read more about this project here.

This was also a "Thread Tales" exhibit and no ribbons were awarded.









Gardner's Mystery



The judge's feedback for "Gardener's Mystery" was:
Good balance of color and value to move your eye around the quilt. Piecing is well done. Beautiful background leaf quilting. Absolutely charming flowered quilting with micro-bubbles. Ditch quilting should stay in the ditch.

It was awarded a third place ribbon in the Pieced Large category skill level advanced.

I was surprised at how vibrant the design of this quilt is. Without seeing it hang, I would not have had this view! Nor would I have seen how much I like the colors that I chose. Who knew a block of the month mystery quilt could have so much visual impact? I sure didn't! You can read more about this project here.

One section of the display
When my friend, Martha, died last summer, her family asked me if I wanted a few quilts that no one else wanted. The last time that I was in her house and after the estate sale, there were a few other finished projects that I couldn't see going to the Salvation Army so I picked those up to become part of my collection.

The "I Love Vicky" and the Cupboard quilts were projects that she had made as her answer to a couple guild challenges. We made vegetable table runners and she was always stitching gifts for someone using sparkly fabrics and threads.

Martha had a terrific eye for color and a wicked sense of humor. She had fun designing her projects and interpreting challenge rules. We laughed a lot when we stitched together once a week for many years. I appreciate that the show chairs supported this exhibit. I heard that as people who knew her passed by, they shared a story or two which would have tickled Martha.
Other section of the display

My favorite exhibit at the show was "The Lady." JoJo Hall designed "The Lady" ten years ago. JoJo spent the last decade letting "The Lady" speak her mind as to how she wanted to be pieced, quilted and embellished!! JoJo quilted words in the earth part of quilt. The words are adjectives that describe women. . .a few of my favorites are adventurous, caring, imaginative and teacher.

JoJo won first place in the Art Representational Category intermediate level and won best domestic machine quilting. Well done, JoJo!!

JoJo with "The Lady"






10 comments:

Nicole Knott said...

Loving the lady by jo jo- with the unique pieces around the playful addition of the words. Hope to see it in person! Looks like a fun show with great awards for both of you! The truck is pretty special. Love you, nic, your freezing daughter who needs a quilt.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

JoJo's quilt is truly wonderful. . .that truck is awesome too. . . I have to pinch myself when I see it because I still can't believe I created it! Thanks for stopping by. . .maybe you can find a quilt to take home with you? Hard telling when I'll get to stitching your quilt, Nicole!

Unknown said...

OMG. All the quilts are wonderful! Congrats to both of you! Hugs, sharon

Janice Smith said...

Congratulations on your Judge’s Choice award. Well deserved!
I got a kick out of the snarky comment that ditch stitching should stay in the ditch . . . Sometimes easier said than done. . .
Finally, I’m sure the pieces you gathered of your friend were a lovely, well received tribute to her.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Sharon, The quilts at the show were terrific. One could spend a lot of time looking at all the entries. It was fun to share the experience with JoJo. Thanks for stopping by!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Janice, The Judge's Choice award was special. As for the ditch comment, there were places the ditch quilting was out of the ditch. . .I'm told the judge will try to leave a constructive so the quilter can make some improvements. True. . .quilting in the ditch is easier said than done! I'm glad to have finished the project and look forward to giving it to the recipient next January! Thanks for your comment!

Luann Fischer said...

This is a superb post! Brought a tear to my eye, made me smile, and even a little chuckle about the ditch quilting. I sure wish we lived closer. On of these days, it’s gonna be two women (husbands in tow I imagine) heading off to meet each other somewhere by the Mississippi River. I think that’s about half way for both of us, lol.
It’s so nice to get a Judge's choice award, means a lot.
Keep stitchin, ,,,

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann. . .one of these days we WILL meet up!! Our poor husbands will be "in tow" LOL I chuckled about the ditch quilting too. . .It is tough keeping it in the ditch! :) Thanks for stopping by!

BJ said...

Congratulations! What a fun blog post.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, BJ on both counts!!!