Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Exercises in Artistry--No Fabric Involved (1 of 5)

Day one--continuous line drawing
Last year, I happened to catch a friend's announcement on Facebook encouraging others to sign up for an online workshop designed to encourage one to work in a sketchbook every day. The workshop was called Sketchbook Revival.

I wanted to improve my drawing skills as well as my confidence about drawing so I joined. I enjoyed all the sessions. I learned something from each session. I even participated in a few sessions.

When the workshop ended, while I didn't work in a sketchbook daily, I did do a little drawing practice almost every month. My thought was that working in different art forms would help me improve my quilt skills. . .whether that is pattern design, fabric selection, construction or quilting!

A few weeks ago, I saw the announcement that Sketchbook Revival was coming a second year. Immediately, I registered. This year, the sessions began on Monday, April 22 and will end on Saturday, May 4th. The host wrote the following about the event:

Selfie used for the exercise
"The artists leading the sessions will share their passions for creating in a sketchbook with everything from ink and graphite, to watercolor and acrylics, and collage and mixed media. You'll also get ideas of how sketchbooks can be tools for observing your world, stretching your imagination, playing with color, connecting with intuition, emotional healing and well being, and so much more."

If you want to join in on the fun, click here for the link to participate. There is no charge for the event.

The first day, we worked on an exercise to train eye/hand coordination using a continuous line drawing technique. Koosje Koene, whose website is sketchbookskool.com, lead the exercise. The top drawing is me feeling my face while drawing without looking at my paper. The only rule was that you couldn't lift your pen or in my case, my pencil! The drawing on the bottom left is me drawing my face from a selfie photo. Again, I didn't look at my drawing and left my pencil on the paper. The bottom right photo is me drawing my face again from the selfie photo; but, this time, I could sneak peeks at the paper. I also told myself, slow down. . .take your time. . .as I drew.

I was surprised that I could draw something like a face without seeing what I was drawing. I also think the first drawing might become a quilt project at some point. . .well, at least I have an idea. . .Back to the exercise!!!!! I was surprised at the resemblance of my drawing to my photo in my third attempt. I was amazed that I didn't spend more than 30 minutes on the entire exercise! Perhaps, drawing faces will become part of my skill set!
By the sea drawing
Tamara Laporte led the mixed media session yesterday. I found her exercise meditative. I had fun drawing the wonky houses. I even had fun using color pencils to color the drawing which surprised me. Tamara used water based supplies to color her drawing.

I spent about 30 minutes drawing and several hours coloring. I love the wonkiness of the houses and I can see some perspective in the photo. I drew a couple awnings and a few porches. Time ran out before I added steps, boats . . . . but, those could wait for another session. I was pleased with my result. . .especially since I hadn't tried something like this before. Perhaps, drawing could be one of my skill sets after all!

I don't know if I will sample all the lessons. I don't know if I will post more end results either. I was brave and posted photos of my work on the Sketchbook Revival Facebook page. I was also brave to write this post. Maybe, I am more of an artist than I think I am!












4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cool idea! I might have to follow along. Thanks for sharing!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, It is fun. I may not have all the supplies the artist uses in their presentation. I use what I have. I'm finding it fun to play! If you do jump in, I'd love to see what you create!

Luann Fischer said...

Terry,
It’s very important to keep ‘playing’, it’s where our creativity lives

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, So true! We must continue to play and to play hard! :)